Home Q & A Forum
Options

1977D quarter Question, In canada dot are very attractive to collector, what about in the US?

acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
edited February 18, 2020 9:42PM in Q & A Forum

Even if am from Canada I have lots of US coins to go through. IF you look on the reverse side and denomination. Between the second L and the A in DOLLAR, it is not indented. There is a nice dot, I didn't find any attribution.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.

Die defect, or clad defect? I wonder.

• Options
    edited February 19, 2020 12:23PM

I notice that the Dot does not have a completed dome. With magnification, I can see a small crack facing south.

In general, are Dots considered an error on US coins?

• Options

You are correct it converges to this. A+ :)

• Options

@hvellente said:
    If I remember correctly, the dots used in Canadian coinage indicate an intentional variety like the 1936 dot penny...

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/royal-romance-leads-to-canadas-1936-dot-cent-rarity.html

The varieties are noteworthy and often more valuable than other coinage so I certainly understand the question...

Very good link, I just saw a 1933 Royal mint Penny. Six or seven examples of the circulating design are known altogether, and each time an example is offered at auction the rarity is a highlight of that sale.

Tomorrow I am going to buy a few Royal Mints Penny. Cross my finger to have a 1933... :)