Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s a pretty cool post from the comment section.

I worked at Topps as my summer college job in 1970 & 1971. I worked the DF line which made all the baseball cards. We brought in large pallets of uncut cards in about 5' x 8' sheets. The sheets went through cutters which reduced them to the individual cards.
    From the cutters, the cards proceeded to the DF machines. These were about a dozen mechanical monsters made in Germany that packed the cards along with a slice of gum and an insert and then heat-sealed a wax wrapping. These machines were operated by a team of two women who were paid a "piece rate". Some machines were better than others in terms of reliability, therefore more output. The women were allowed to choose their machines based on their seniority.
    The cards were put into their display boxes and the packed in the warehouse for future distribution.
    Was a fun job for a college kid.....worked second and sometimes third shift....got paid $2.10 an hour and all the baseball cards and gum I could carry

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this, Gregg!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.