Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the ebay discount for Fedex shipping really this large ?

thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 18, 2020 2:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I don't know if any of you have experience shipping larger packages through Fedex.
I sold a larger item, listed the shipping cost as 49.00, packed the item up and headed off to UPS. The package was 22 pounds and change. The UPS office that I have used for years was closed, permanently. It was usually my experience that UPS was less expensive than Fedex. You can't get a shipping link to UPS on ebay, just USPS or Fedex.
Well, anyway, here I am ready to ship, so I just go around the corner to Fedex. They quote me 59.96 for ground and it's gone. I got home and went on my ebay page to check the shipping with Fedex through ebay. Putting in weights and measures, they quote 22.13 ! Could there really be such a difference, or did the counter person just 'see me coming' ?

Comments

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Depending on exactly on the type of "FedEx" place you went to, the price can actually be a good bit higher than just normal, base rates. In my experience, discounts for Ground are not that great from base rates, but Express and International discounts can be very large.

• Options

This was an actual Fedex shipping office at the airport. Not a 'we ship it for you' type of place.

• Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the ebay rates are really that much cheaper. I shipped a large package and was shocked how reduced they were and how much less than USPS.
    I actually had some damage on the item I shipped and filed a claim with Fedex. They made it right with no hassles.
    I was impressed.

liefgold
  • Options

@liefgold said:
    Yes, the ebay rates are really that much cheaper. I shipped a large package and was shocked how reduced they were and how much less than USPS.
    I actually had some damage on the item I shipped and filed a claim with Fedex. They made it right with no hassles.
    I was impressed.

WOW !
    That sure is good to know......Iwas expecting to ship UPS so I just never checked the Fedex rate on ebay.
    Live and learn I reckon......Almost a 40 dollar lesson......

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    This was an actual Fedex shipping office at the airport. Not a 'we ship it for you' type of place.

I don't know for sure if this is still the case, but FedEx office would charge more than base rates (i.e. the rate if you signed up for a free account and printed out a label at home).

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

The FedEx difference between regular public and corporate rates can be very large...

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will Fed-Ex insure coins now?

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ship several packages a day through FedEx, and have been using them for 20+ years. I ship expensive and large items (complete automotive rear end assembly, seats, car roofs, etc.).

Here are some takeaways.

1) Yes, the ebay discount is large, but it is also commensurate with having one's own account. .

2) You need to understand what is and is not covered, and how costs are ascribed. For example, I always pack and print the label and drop it off, get it scanned and get a receipt. If nothing else the receit validates nothing wrong with the label (blurred ink, tear, fold etc.)

3) Cost: I had an item (flywheel, weighed about 45 pounds) come up with 2 different costs when shipped at different times. I asked the FedEx manager at the store, if I would just bring this in, how much would it cost to ship, versus what I was showing on the screen. It was roughly $50 versus $20.

BreakOut:  There is a box charge, and they pick a larger box than I would have used, so they have at least 2"  on every side.

There is a packing fee, about $12 this item (labor and materials)
                           There is an addressing fee, typing in the address, phone, etc. weighing, measuring, putting on the label, etc.

Since the box was larger, the total cost was larger, plus all the fees.

Takeaway: Pack and label and just drop off.

4) The CLIFF: FedEx has a weight component, a size component, an address component, and a location component.

For example, 414 Ridge Road in Nashville, would be a residential, 213 Main Street Suite A, would be a commercial, and RR6 Lost in the Woods Maine, is a remote. FedEx ground is the cheapest, going to a commercial address, then home delivery to an urban residential is next, and finally a remote location packs it's own charge.

Also, Weight versus size. 65 pounds of lead is going to get charged by weight. Go from 69 to 71 pounds,and it is overweight, and it may double in price.

Exceed size (48" on a side, more than 96 or 130" overall, can put you into oversize1 or oversize 2, and prices can skyrocket. I always check on the big stuff to make sure I am not falling over the cliff on size or weight. Trimming the box by 2" on 2 sides could knock $150 off the shipping price.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Will Fed-Ex insure coins now?

Use third party insurance, but be careful about when you ship. My Hugh Wood policy cuts the coverage in half and doubles the deductible if you ship over a weekend.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file