Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can you identify the countermarks?

The host is a 1752 Guatemala 8 Reales.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

it is possible that it is a counter mark of Pedro II of Brazil. There was a serious monetary and political crises in Brazil when he was crowned about 1840 or so. The few coins I have seen that were counter marked were from Pedro I and had a numeric value stamped of half the original designation . I have read that they also were using other coins from foreign countries because the domestic money was so distrusted.

But it just as likely that it is a 'love token' worn on a chain. Hope you find out what it is.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 10:23AM

I see it as: "TP." I think the post above answered the question.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here it is on a 1711 Mexico Royal.

On the "TP" Monogram: Often thought to be a modern forgery of the "PATRIA" monogram countermark issued in Argentina, the "TP" monogram punch is undoubtedly a genuine item for the period, as proven by the several hosts found for the issue, including lot 1691 in the Gibbs collection (H. Schulman 3/1966), a Central American Republic 2 Reales 1831 T-F previously (or after?) countermarked with the Los Altos ND (1838) stamp. What remains uncertain is its true origin, and whether it was an official country application (presently unmatched to a decree) or placed by a privateer goldsmith. With further research, hopefully this mystery will one day be solved.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 3:41PM

And another, the Gibbs piece mentioned above. But that doesn’t tell us what they are. It just tells us that I’m not the only one who doesn’t know what they are.

Ccc

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, who's got the Brunk counterstamp book that's been mentioned in the past? And is it listed there? I like a good mystery. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thumbed thru Brunk and did not see it. Note they all have a diagonal mark (crack) thru them.