Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Questions about Dipping

I've never dipped a coin before in my life and do not even know how to. I have some dipping candidates "I think" and want to know the opinions, in's and out's, how to, and thoughts about it. One example is a common date below that I have just over $50 in raw. It's low MS at best and the tone isn't exactly pleasing. Thoughts welcome please.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Jim Elliot

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a cost of $50 I would give it a try on a common date like that..... if there is underlying luster .

I will leave it to others as what to use .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the long term preservation of the coin, the answer will always be do not dip.

I think the patina on that coin is appropriate for it's age and condition. I think a white, dipped version would look off. You could try a really weak dip to try and lighten the toning without really removing it.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best not to touch that particular coin AT ALL. Furthermore, for someone who has never dipped a coin before, making this one look nice is way outside of your skill level at the moment. Save that one for down the line. I'm not going to tell you how to dip a coin properly as there is a series of steps that should come first and most folks don't have a clue how to dip a coin properly.

I suggest you get a bunch of toned AU 1964 Washington quarters in some dealer's junk silver and begin with those coins. There are probably one or two (out of fifty) good internet videos about dipping coins. . .

• ncsuwolf74ncsuwolf74 Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the replies. So I'm assuming what they call "conservation" on NGC's website is actually dipping?

Jim Elliot

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Dip" usually refers to tarnish remover, a sulfuric acid-thiourea mixture. It is a possible tool of a coin conservator, but by no means the only one. "Conservation" can also mean less destructive cleaning, such as using solvents like acetone to remove PVC goo or sticky-tape residue. It can also mean "stronger" treatments like removing corrosion, filling in holes and repairing damage.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)

Thanks all for the replies

Jim Elliot

@ncsuwolf74 said:
    Thanks for the replies. So I'm assuming what they call "conservation" on NGC's website is actually dipping?

While I worked there - Sometimes, sometimes not. Coins are different, that's why they are reviewed before attempting to CLEAN conserve them. Remember, proper cleaning so no one can tell it's been cleaned is a good thing!

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ncsuwolf74 There is no "one size fits all" answer for cleaning. You have a lot of tools like water, acetone, xylene, MS70, EZest, verdicare, etc. In order to pick the right tool and use it correctly, you need to have an understanding of the composition of the material you want to remove,. Is the material physically or chemically bonded to the coin. What might be under that material like corrosion. As @Insider2 said, you won't know what works until you try it. A basic understanding of chemistry and metallurgy helps but experience is your best friend

Member of the ANA since 1982

Ok, one more question and hope this information is helping others and not just me. This particular coin has underlying luster, but the tone is just smokey looking and a duller antique looking coin. What could one expect if it was sent it for conservation? Forget if it's worth the cost since it's not an expensive coin. I'm more curious of what I could expect the end result would be? I really have no interest in dipping or becoming a metallurgy expert, but wasn't sure what everyone's experience was in dipping coins and if one size would fit all.

Jim Elliot

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: This comment is based on an opinion reached from viewing the image posted above, nothing more. No suggestion of any course of action is being made.

With that understanding, I would think an ammonia bath would provide better results on the pictured coin than an acidic dip.

edited February 16, 2020 5:49PM

@ncsuwolf74 said:
    Ok, one more question and hope this information is helping others and not just me. This particular coin has underlying luster, but the tone is just smokey looking and a duller antique looking coin. What could one expect if it was sent it for conservation? Forget if it's worth the cost since it's not an expensive coin. I'm more curious of what I could expect the end result would be? I really have no interest in dipping or becoming a metallurgy expert, but wasn't sure what everyone's experience was in dipping coins and if one size would fit all.

It depends on where you send it. Some guys cleaning coins are a lot better than others. There is no guarantee no matter who does the work. Some attempts at conservation "BLOW UP" unexpectedly and for no known reason. It happens to the best conservators. As for your coin, that color is not a good one to start with. It resembles an already dipped out surface. Since you hate the coin, trade out of it or sell it. I don't believe that one can be fixed except using a method "everyone knows" that is frowned upon.

Don't touch the coin and I don't recommend spending money to get it "fixed." From what I see, chemicals will not remove that powdery haze and anything abrasive will leave scratches. Most collectors would just scrub the heck out of it and ave a shiny ruined coin.

Thanks

Jim Elliot