Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2010 25 cents Canada wire on the chest?

Seem to be a wire stuck in front of the chest on the reverse side. Dip in acetone and still there. Doesn't seem like it wants to come off at all. When the coin got struck, where is create the groovy hair style. When the press came up it probably left that piece of metal that came from the edge of the press in design. Now, does that make any sense

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is raised then it is not a struck thru. Looks like moved metal (PMD) to me.

• Options
    acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I know it's PMD I was just trying to figure out where that piece of metal came from.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly reed mark and not necessarily from that coin type.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The edge of another coin hit it and what you're seeing is the impression of the reeded egde. The raised area you think is a retained strike through is actually displaced metal from the hit.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Yes thank you, but I am not talking about a strike.

My question was, where did this piece of metal come from?

Where do I post parts that don't necessarily have error or PMD? Basically, just to elaborate on the weird coins that helps me identify what I see. Look at it this way, it's easier to learn what is PMD and other non-error coins than the other way around. Therefore, I will be able to eliminate the not good parts of the rest and the good think it will not be displayed. the elementary cause.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not a piece of metal. It is displaced metal. The raised area that you see was originally where the indent is. When the surface was hit by the edge of a reeded coin, the metal on the edge was pushed up. This is what members have been telling you

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    It is not a piece of metal. It is displaced metal. The raised area that you see was originally where the indent is. When the surface was hit by the edge of a reeded coin, the metal on the edge was pushed up. This is what members have been telling you

OK I agree, I haven't spoken or written English since my 2007 car crash. Sometimes I get a bit confused, Just trying to make sense or put the puzzle together in my head is extremely difficult. But hey, I have learned to live with this :) .