Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1949 5 cents Canada double ear or PMD found it . It's call heraring aid #1483

acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
edited February 15, 2020 11:10AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

__First time I see that on any 5 cents if I don't ask I'll never know.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 14, 2020 11:08AM

Just found it, it's call hearing aid #1483

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to start looking at the entire coin. The bottom of the bust is also doubled. What does that tell you? What are the possibilities?

• Options
    edited February 15, 2020 9:18PM

no good

• Options
    edited February 15, 2020 9:19PM

no good

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    You need to start looking at the entire coin. The bottom of the bust is also doubled. What does that tell you? What are the possibilities?

Am really trying, can you be a little more specific. Is it Observe or reverse, 6 o'clock.
    Thanks a lot... :)

• Options

On the obverse you saw what looks like a doubled ear. If there is also some doubling on another part of the obverse (the bottom of the King's neck), that gives a clue to what you have. Both strike doubling and doubled dies can show doubling on several parts of the coin so you;ll need to look for more clues. Start with an Internet search to find out the characteristics of doubled dies.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    On the obverse you saw what looks like a doubled ear. If there is also some doubling on another part of the obverse (the bottom of the King's neck), that gives a clue to what you have. Both strike doubling and doubled dies can show doubling on several parts of the coin so you;ll need to look for more clues. Start with an Internet search to find out the characteristics of doubled dies.

Dac, I work on it this week and get back to you A+.
    Thanks

• Options

They are strikes Doubling happen when it shifts inside the retaining collar at the same time it's being struck. It is flat and it's not the same size as you would see on a true double die where you see the split sheriff and notches.
    Photos of strike doubling.

• Options

Well I guest I could not waite. Had to do it now....

• Options

@Insider2 said:

Hello, @insider2
    Haven heard from you. Did I do my homework wright or did I mist on something?

• Options

Yes. A+ :)

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Yes. A+ :)

Appreciated, good practice.
    Don't hesitate if other, a nice challenge for me.