Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you have a question or are you posting machine doubling?

• @Insider2 said:

Just wanted to highlight how both differ but look mistakingly similar to new variety collectors.....

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

What variety is the picture on the right?

Collector, occasional seller

edited February 14, 2020 11:03AM

@coindude88 said:

@Insider2 said:

Just wanted to highlight how both differ but look mistakingly similar to new variety collectors.....

If by some chance the coin on the right is actually a doubled die, your image does not show it. It might be helpfull if you would put into words what we are suppose to see (the differences) on each type of doubling: machine vs Doubled Die.

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are machine doubled.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

1960 Proof DDR? I'm paging thru variety vista trying to find it...
    http://www.varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/1960PDDR009.htm

Collector, occasional seller

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

Could be...or could be more machine doubling. The photo is horrible.

In the clear photo you post, the difference is quite obvious between that and machine doubling.

I don't know how a forum by a grading company has become the home for so many novice roll searchers.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ChrisH821 said:

I don't know how a forum by a grading company has become the home for so many novice roll searchers.

People looking for information about our hobby is clearly a good thing :)

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ChrisH821 said:

People looking for information about our hobby is clearly a good thing :)

That is not my point. My point is that a slabbing service wouldn't seem to be the likely place for roll searchers.

Although it is worth asking if someone has been posting for a year and still puts up damaged coins and MD for our evaluation is really interested in learning anything or just wants a free opinion.

Collectors Universe is the best forum for US coins (IMO). Starting out here as a newbie is like jumping into a Formula I Mercedes race car and trying to get it to move w/o stalling or crashing. I started out for a year on a more suitable (IMO) forum for CRH - more of a Kiddie Car. Freedom may not be the best thing in every situation but it is better than the alternative. - needing to pass a test before posting.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see a good photo of the obverse and reverse of the coin .

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Based on everything I have read so far, legitimate double dies have been documented as such. The working die itself is the culprit, not the stamping process, yes?

I believe one authority conveys that due to current standards, someone randomly discovering a new DD in current coinage is not realistic. Ebay, and most sites that allow sellers, are full of new coins with MD and common die degradation coinage, that are improperly described as DD.

If the OP can update the post to identify the full coin, so the year and other important details are presented, I would think that better responses would be made.

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2020 10:15AM

I just found this 2015 P Roosevelt. Did some research and learned it is severe, and apparently common, die deterioration and over polishing. These are listed on fleabay and other sales resources as die errors. These are MD or DDD double die deterioration and not DDO double die obverse. Of note, it has the documented die break to the right of the lips that exists on the recognized DDR coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file