Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Merc Folks. They ALL Should Look Like This !!!!! Yahoo !!

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know Some Will Not Like This ?? But this is the Ultimate for Me !! On the Reverse You will be able to See the Color in a Couple of Places. This Dime is Like that Around the Rim on the Obverse and Reverse. Just PLAIN Georgeous !!! This is One of the 3 I Bought in the Bunch Mentioned a Couple of Weeks Ago. Will Throw Up pictures of the Rest Later Today or Tomorrow Morning when I do My Morning Computer Thing.
    Tim:
      These Came 10 Minutes After I answered Your PM. Real Suprise they Got Here this Early. Can't have This One as it is My Keeper for Sure.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
            Isn't This Hobby Grand to be Able to Find Coins Preserved by the Prior Collecting Community.imageimage and Over Joyed.
              Ken

Comments

• Options
                And a Look at a Second One Untill I get Time to Put it on the Web Space. Looks like a Roll End Dime ?? I Think the Weak Obverse Strike Kept This One from a 65FB Grade. image
              • Options
                izzy452izzy452 Posts: 929
                Ken,
                Nice looking coins. I think I'll tone my white ones......now where did I put those crayons. image

Walt image
              • Options
                Ken

Very nice coin!image
                Looks like a classic Whitman album tone job. Looks like it has a lot of nice red,yell,and green/blue! Coins like that are rare. Just imagine during the blast white phases, how many beauties like that get dipped. Makes me cringe!image

Tc
                TC
              • Options
                MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
                Ken:

That 1925 that you linked pictures to surely does have a weak obverse but the mint truly nailed the reverse--it seems totally FB. I presume PCGS did grade the coin FB? I also guess that the obverse is weak because the obverse die was worn rather than being the result of a weak strike (or of the dies being spaced too far apart) because of the strength of the reverse. If the strike was weak or the dies spaced too far apart, I'd expect both the obverse and reverse to be similarly weak. Do you agree with this assessment or am I missing something?

Mark
                Mark

• Options
                DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
                Ken,

Both coins are beauty's. The 25-D looks full band to me. Obverse is weak but nice.

Jon
              • Options
                Mark:
                  You made Me Go to the Book for a Explanation on the General Obverse Weakness on All of the 1925 Dimes. Generally Considered the Poorest Struck Date of All Mercury Dimes, In which I Agree, David Lange the Author of "The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes" suggests the Problems Came from the Master Die of that Year. Also He States that FB on the Reverse is Really Quite Common. In His Statement He believes the 25S is the Worst Struck of the Whole Series. IMO its Not the 25S but the 25P.

I have Owned 9 of these in the Last Couple of Years and Basically the First One Pictured Here has the Best Obverse Strike of the Bunch. He also mentioned the Buffalo Nickels fo 1925 have the Same Striking Problems. Poor Quality of Product and Workmanship from the Mint Prevailed in 1925 Overall it Looks like to Me. Imagine the Uproar that would Happen Today if this Quality came from the Mint Now.
                    Maybe this Poor Strike is the Reason You See so Few 25P's in Higher Grades. I have Never Owned One Higher than MS64 so I Cannot Comment on What a MS65 Strike for this Dime Looks Like. The 3 I received Today have MS65 Surfaces but for Some Reason All are Graded MS64FB.

My Own theory that I have Pertains also to the Make Up of the Silver for the Years 1924 and 1925. Starting in 1924 the Surfaces of the 24P are Generally Grainey Looking somewhat like the 1916 Dimes were. I am Just Wondering if there was some sort of Minor Metal Composition Change in 1924 and 1925 or if it Really is the Master Dies that Caused the Problems. Problems Continued on through 1927 with the D and S Mint Dimes and then Straightened Out for the Most Part in 1928.

MySelf I love the !925, 1926, 1927 Dates. Rarely will I walk By One without Looking It Over Real Well. Of Course they Are Not Plentiful so Not a Whole Lot of Looking Gets to Be Done.

Ken

Hey.... How About Another 25P to Look At !!
                  1. Options
                    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
                    Ken,

Your first two coins look nice and could be twins, appearing to have been stored in the same manner. The obverse of the third is my favorite, though. I've only owned four '25-P dimes, all MS64's, 3 with FB. It's true that they aren't typically struck as well as earlier dates. As for the '25-P Buffalo, I currently own 3 in MS64. Two of them have the granular surfaces you mention, but the third has the best satiny luster I've seen for that date (see below). I haven't noticed any probkems with strike on '25-P cents or quarters.

Jim

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
                  2. Options
                    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
                    Tim - Nice coin, but boy are you addicted to the winged liberty ladies. Does your wife know about this infatuation with these beautiful ladies? Bear
                    There once was a place called
                    Camelotimage
                  3. Options
                    Jim:
                      The Buffalo Shown is a Knock Out Coin !!! If the Scan is Correct it has that Steely Blue Light Tone on it Which is Something to Behold on the Buffalo's. A Set of Buffalo's Looking Just Like That would be Fantastic !!!
                        Ken

All Five Examples of the 1925P if this Works Will Be Here.