Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What did year did Topps start using logo on box shrink wrapping?

I guess the discussion title asks the question pretty well. I ask because I see a lot of sealed 1990s Star Wars boxes for sale that have no Topps logo on the shrink wrap. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    OmegaDOmegaD Posts: 25 ✭✭

Thank you. I appreciate it.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OmegaD said:
    I guess the discussion title asks the question pretty well. I ask because I see a lot of sealed 1990s Star Wars boxes for sale that have no Topps logo on the shrink wrap. Thanks.

I finally made it to my stash to check and it's hit or miss, mostly miss, with the Star Wars products of the 90s ...
    93 Galaxy (Series 1) - Had Topps logo on the wrap (so I would assume all of the Galaxy series wax boxes did)
    94 Galaxy Series 2 Factory Set - Did not
    CCG Premeire - Did not
    ANH & ROTJ Widevision - Did not

These were all purchased at the time of their respective releases from hobby/comics shops. I'll have to see if I have any others in a secondary stash location.

• Options
    OmegaDOmegaD Posts: 25 ✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@OmegaD said:

I finally made it to my stash to check and it's hit or miss, mostly miss, with the Star Wars products of the 90s ...
    93 Galaxy (Series 1) - Had Topps logo on the wrap (so I would assume all of the Galaxy series wax boxes did)
    94 Galaxy Series 2 Factory Set - Did not
    CCG Premeire - Did not
    ANH & ROTJ Widevision - Did not

These were all purchased at the time of their respective releases from hobby/comics shops. I'll have to see if I have any others in a secondary stash location.

Thank you very much for that list. It was the original Widevision boxes in particular that I was looking into first.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original Widevision SW boxes were Topps wrapped to the best of my memory for ANH, ESB and ROTJ.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    The original Widevision SW boxes were Topps wrapped to the best of my memory for ANH, ESB and ROTJ.

I can't find a single example of ANH or ROTJ Widevision with Topps wrap (or Trilogy or SE) on eBay. Most ESB don't either, but there are a couple examples of some really odd Topps wrap I've never seen before (huge logo, widely spaced). It almost looks like stickers on the wrap, see the second pic of this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Widevision-Wax-Box-Topps-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-ESB-1995/142349060729