Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2001 5 cents Canada struck thrue

Obviously, the coin has been struck true, is it grease.

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I'm not up on 5 cents, but these were multiply plated steel. It looks like some of the "plating peeled off and some of it plugged the die. I could very easily be wrong with that

• Options
    acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2020 8:42AM

It a pretty deep hole and I don't think peeled plating off could have made this error coin. Here photos of what I found on the Canada error site. Lookalike I say...

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

It's not "lookalike". In the original, the "peel" took off the design. The one from the CaC site didn't affect the design. I am not an error collector... I'm just commenting on what I see metallically.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is an obvious strike thru error. There is no characteristic of peeling in the image. Why? What does a detached lamination look like?

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2020 6:22PM

@acadien said:
    Obviously, the coin has been struck true, is it grease.

Looks like struck through grease to me. :)
    Interesting error.

• Options

@syl said:
    I'm not up on 5 cents, but these were multiply plated steel. It looks like some of the "plating peeled off and some of it plugged the die. I could very easily be wrong with that

Thanks for sharing, but I'll go with struck through grease.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    It is an obvious strike thru error. There is no characteristic of peeling in the image. Why? What does a detached lamination look like?

Here is the numismatic definition of Laminage. There are more depends on the combined metallurrgy.

Lamination/Planchet Flaw Coin Error: I like to think of this error as one where the thin layer of on top of the impurity metal from the coin has not really detached from the coin. These errors appear to have very slight flaws or cracks in the surface of the coin that generally are quite long.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2020 5:08AM

It's a strike through. Probably grease or other soft material. Laminations tend to be elongated since the void/defect is in the ingot as cast and is stretched out as the strip is rolled. Also, the surface of your coin doesn't look like the typical lamination surface. It's too smooth. Just my opinion

Member of the ANA since 1982