Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2020 9:16AM

The fact that it's Lebron and Jordan together, and it's a 1/1 probably had a lot to do with it. It is surprising that it went that high though. It's also Lebron's rookie year.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    I hate to be that curmudgeon that bashes the modern market, but this is absolute insanity to me.

I agree - these patches do nothing for me.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lahmejoon said:

@DBesse27 said:
    I hate to be that curmudgeon that bashes the modern market, but this is absolute insanity to me.

I agree - these patches do nothing for me.

Especially when they’re not game used. If this is Lebron’s rookie year, then the logo was never worn in an NBA game.

With that said, even as game used I wouldn’t be able to fathom the price.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

To be honest, I don't think it is an appealing card at all. The patches do nothing for me, and you can barely see Lebron and Jordan.

• Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    You can throw "1 of 1" on a turd and someone is going to pay you good money for it!

😂😂

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the buyer for this card is the same buyer of the PSA Authentic Altered PMG Green MJ that sold for 350K last year.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    You can throw "1 of 1" on a turd and someone is going to pay you good money for it!

It would have to be LeBron's or MJ's turd... Not just any turd.... Duh!

Shane

• Options

Gentlemen, please. I'm trying to eat a sausage biscuit.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Swimming in money or not, that card is not a drop in the bucket for him. I am sure his money is working for him, but making 250 mil from the sale of flatiron and then shelling out almost 1 mil for a card is no small purchase. If he keeps making purchases of that magnitude it could really eat into his bank account. I would much rather spend that money on a card that would have a better chance at appreciation. That logoman is not a waterfront card per se.

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2020 4:28AM

Few thoughts:

*The LeBron is apparently game used. Most of his Panini patches that year were "player worn" but the material from Exquisite is in fact game used (or so I have read).

*This is from LeBron's rookie year.

*Obviously combines the two most collected players in the modern market.

*Just as the modern basketball card market is beyond blazing hot, the market for Logoman's is basically never before seen levels of insane right now across the board in basketball. Like, beyond on fire. Check out recent prices for guy's who've never even been to the playoffs or made an All-Star team and you will see what I mean. Basically, you can take a nice European vacation right now for the price of Malcom Brogdon's rookie logoman.

*The buyer is by all accounts a true collector and not a Vegas Dave type who seeks to make major purchases, hype them up, and flip them. To each their own, but it makes me happy to see purchases like this being made. Certainly indicates how healthy the hobby is right now when someone like him is stepping up to pay that type of coin.

*Hard to image anybody will see a non auto'd BGS 8.5 anything from the 2000's go for close to a million again any time soon :)

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    Swimming in money or not, that card is not a drop in the bucket for him. I am sure his money is working for him, but making 250 mil from the sale of flatiron and then shelling out almost 1 mil for a card is no small purchase. If he keeps making purchases of that magnitude it could really eat into his bank account. I would much rather spend that money on a card that would have a better chance at appreciation. That logoman is not a waterfront card per se.

Jason, taking item sexiness and potential value out of the equation, and breaking that down to "common people" type finances like my own, if I went out with $250 in my pocket I would not hesitate to spend $1 on something I wanted.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

It's all "relative" to your situation and resources -- and Its a different ballgame for those collectors with huge bank rolls. The card looks cool to me -- Congrats to both the Buyer and Seller...

• Options
    edited February 15, 2020 10:50AM

It must be nice to have that much money. He can buy all the clothes he needs. Being on a budget, I usually wear the same potato sack with rope belt everyday.

For little doubledragon jr , I'll just make him an outfit from tin foil, and give him a little sponge hat.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy is a serial entrepreneur and clearly a prodigy and not just some random lottery winner. Guys like this aren't done making money. Many would just pack it in but not someone like this. That said if he did just pack it in. If you have 250 million liquid you can buy 5% high yield tax free bonds and clip a cool $12,500,000 tax free which is a tax equivalent yield of $18,656,000 per year. He will be just fine spending this much on a card.

In terms of the card clearly basketball collectors have deemed this one of the best cards that exist and its selling price was the highest on record so far. How that doesn't meet the definition of a waterfront card is beyond me.

This guys collection is world class and if he is willing to shell out this much for the card more power to him.

It has been discussed numerous times but for collectibles what drives values are bragging rights and if it took a guy like this 15 years to find the card it took other people that long too and only one can emerge as the person who owns the card and that is clearly worth something.

I think there has to be a lot of envy when I read the comments on the cards he has purchased. Everyone whether they want to admit it or not would love to be the ultimate savage where you simply can't lose the card in question. Most of us have to think about purchases as the price goes up and have a breaking point. This dude doesn't. Sounds F'N awesome.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no envy on my part, more power to him! I like that he is so active in the hobby as it brings a great deal of excitement. In 2016 a logoman Lebron Auto card 1/1 sold for 312k and I can see the demand/bragging rights to that card more so than a non-auto dual logoman. Even a Lebron/Jordan dual auto card would make more sense to me, though many don't have that 1/1 designation.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure collectors of the early days, before prices really took off, would marvel at some of the prices being realized now. I wonder if any buyers in the 60s/70s thought that they were risking the 4 figure price tag on the Wagner T-206, that it might just out price anyone coming alone in the future. Maybe they just didn't care and needed that card. Hard to imagine anyone could have predicted where this and other scarce cards would end up price-wise. $1500 at that time (I recall an ad mentioning that price for the Wagner) is probably not like $1M is today though.

Still, as prices go higher for certain gems, it is hard to think that someone will be willing to pay as much or more for them in the future, but I am probably wrong as the Wagner example illustrates. At some point, perhaps someone is stuck holding the bag for cards that were once so expensive, but in the future are no longer desired.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

I don't know if Nat Turner reads this board but watching CNBC Sqauwk Box right now and Ken Langone just said he is in contact with him daily and he is doing wonderful things to try and help with this awful situation.

Thanks for what you are doing.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2020 6:17AM

Thanks Nat, we need more people like you stepping up and fewer people with their heads in the sand. Major kudos.

Not envy on my part. More a difference in taste. If I had 900K to blow on a card, that would be one of the last cards I would buy. Personally I would spend it on a Babe Ruth or something else in high end vintage. Again though, that’s just personal taste.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I don’t keep up with modern but aren’t the chances good the exact same card exists but numbered differently?

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    I don't know if Nat Turner reads this board but watching CNBC Sqauwk Box right now and Ken Langone just said he is in contact with him daily and he is doing wonderful things to try and help with this awful situation.

I read Nat just bought collectors universe

• Options

@coinspacks said:

@Dpeck100 said:

I read Nat just bought collectors universe

WOW

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/collectors-universe-acquired-investor-group-142400274.html