Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

1929 nationals

Just curious... How many of these notes do you see that were cut miserably and how badly does that effect value? Perhaps 30 to 40%?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020 7:00AM

I wouldn't say 30-40%...perhaps closer to 20%.I find the prices are effected depending on rarity and/or overall value as well as just how visually bad the cutting is.Often is the case that the rarity, especially with Nationals,trumps the poor cutting as to value.Whereas,a more common note would certainly be hurt more value-wise.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the how badly the note is cut - the key thing is whether or not it is cut into the design. A tight margin will have virtually no impact unless it is a super-common note which is only worth more if well centered. If it's on a very rare bank, then the effect is negligible. You have to remember that the sheets were cut at the local banks by bored employees who hated the job (about as exciting as flipping burgers at McDonald's). However, bad cuts do provide an opportunity for the scammers on FleaBag to scream "ERROR - RARE!!!!!".

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the commentary... The design was not impacted. The margin is tight on the top and the centering is unfortunate but I suppose it could have been worse. I am concerned as to expectations and what is reasonable...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.