Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Is there a way to get scotch tape off a note? Pic added.

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 11, 2020 11:48AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

I have a scarce note taped onto glass, anyway to remove the tape safely without hurting note color?

Comments

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

What kind of note?
    If a US note (federal), usually acetone will do the trick and dissolve the adhesive without damaging the note or inks.

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Texas republic note,

@Staircoins said:
    What kind of note?
    If a US note (federal), usually acetone will do the trick and dissolve the adhesive without damaging the note or inks.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave it alone until you have a chance to talk to someone who does paper restoration work.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020 8:18PM

Nice looking note. I love Republic of Texas notes, and have collected many of them over the years.

These are printed on very thin paper. I've successfully removed tape adhesive and stamp hinges from these before, as they're almost always cut canceled and sometimes crudely repaired.

Acetone will not affect the design. It may or may not obliterate the handwritten serial number on the front by seeping through though, so that's the choice your faced with.

Good luck with it. If you try I'd love to see how it turns out.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

I’d leave that note as is. The tape is right at the serial number ...it will disappear if the tape is chemically removed.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Solvent will have an adverse effect on ink. I would think that targeted infrared heat might be a solution. But what do I know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall