Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shaq Rookies moving on up

It appears Shaq rookies are taking off or at least the Topps so far. They have jumped to over $50 in a psa 10. Wax/hobby boxes are still cheap but I doubt that last much longer. The Upper Decks should be next

Comments

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

Why do think shaq wax Topps Stadium club series 2 and Upper Deck high series will start moving up? To what pricing per box? thanks for your input.

chaz

• Options

Is it because the kids are starting to rip more packs in search of beam team??

chaz

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

FFS, folks, PLEASE, do NOT rip packs looking for Beam Team. I mean, if you can find a factory sealed jumbo box, sure, but you're going to pay through the arse for it. Any non-sealed jumbo box you see was put together from packs left over from boxes that had their Beam Team cards already pulled. Don't waste your money. Just buy the Beam Team cards. Don't buy the jumbo packs.

Beam Teams are NOT available in regular wax packs.

Arthur

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Great input RC!

When I see sealed hobby boxes online, I see them with the familiar Topps insignia/name on the wrap itself.
    When I see "sealed" jumbo boxes online, I see them in regular cello with no designation on the wrap itself.

Can someone confirm whether the jumbo boxes should have Topps on the wrap?

An example of the plain cello:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-94-Topps-Stadium-Club-Series-2-Jumbo-Packs-Basketball-Box-Factory-Sealed/401985873532?hash=item5d9839a67c:g:2~MAAOSwkwxd6Tm3

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    FFS, folks, PLEASE, do NOT rip packs looking for Beam Team. I mean, if you can find a factory sealed jumbo box, sure, but you're going to pay through the arse for it. Any non-sealed jumbo box you see was put together from packs left over from boxes that had their Beam Team cards already pulled. Don't waste your money. Just buy the Beam Team cards. Don't buy the jumbo packs.

Beam Teams are NOT available in regular wax packs.

Arthur

What are you talking about???? There is one Beam Team card in every series 2 box. Now, I don't know about series 1 but I am positive about factory sealed 1992 Topps Stadium Club series 2 Boxes.

chaz

• Options

I have on occasion pulled 2 Beam Team Cards out of one 1992 Topps Stadium Club Series 2 Factory Sealed wax boxes.

chaz

• Options

Okay, mea culpa. I was wrong on that. But I still say stay away from any box that is not factory sealed from Topps.

Arthur

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the education on these!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Okay, mea culpa. I was wrong on that. But I still say stay away from any box that is not factory sealed from Topps.

Arthur

Yes...this is great advice! You can tell which pack has the Beam Team in it, if you know what to look for. So as Arthur says, DO NOT waste any money on an unwrapped box.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Good stuff! I think they increase across the board. jeter, lebron, Kobe (even before the tragedy) all have taken a jump. Regular Topps boxes should easily be $50+ and Stadium club $100 +

• Options

You would think that these boxes ( 1992 Topps Stadium club Series 2 & 1992 Upper Deck HIgh Series) would have taken off and be $3-400 per box by now after you see Shaq EVERY WHERE on TV and all the other projects he's got going on....

chaz

• Options

@chaz43 said:
    You would think that these boxes ( 1992 Topps Stadium club Series 2 & 1992 Upper Deck HIgh Series) would have taken off and be $3-400 per box by now after you see Shaq EVERY WHERE on TV and all the other projects he's got going on....

chaz

Did you and @VintagemanEd just go in on a few cases of these? :) This is a lot of pumping across two threads in one day.

Arthur

• Options

No, just wondering if it's a good time to invest in some boxes or not.

chaz

• Options

Oh I bought a few boxes since I literally just paid attention to prices of them a few days ago. I don’t do much basketball and the Kobe thing got me to watching his values and then I saw what Lebrons rookies are doing and then I searched for Shaq’s.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭

Add tim duncan to your list of cards on the rise.

• Options

Interesting

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s everyone’s view on Vince Carter rookies? I know for years his cards haven’t been extremely expensive. HOF for sure so?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Vinsanity was a great player but I just don't think he did it for long enough.... #19 on the all time points list but was a journeyman for a good part of his career. I don't think Carter's cards have the upside like Shaq for instance who is constantly in the "public eye" to put it mildly....

chaz

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Vince gets in just because the bar has been lowered. He gets in on being a fan favorite nice guy and longevity. Not to mention his live as a beast of a dunker! But I agree that I don’t see a ton of upside on his cards

• Options

19 points overall is a lock. He was a scoring machine for much of his career. He easily deserves to be in, IMO. His rookies being in the same year as Dirk and Pierce probably won't help though.

Arthur

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@chaz43 said:
    Vinsanity was a great player but I just don't think he did it for long enough.... #19 on the all time points list but was a journeyman for a good part of his career. I don't think Carter's cards have the upside like Shaq for instance who is constantly in the "public eye" to put it mildly....

chaz

Didn’t do it long enough? He’s the oldest guy in the league. I’d predict Vince is a first ballot Hall of Famer but easily gets in either way though.

1992, 1993 and 1998 boxes are super cheap in my opinion but I’d pass on the 97 Tim Duncan boxes as over valued.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

Who is in 93?

• Options

1993 was Webber, Hardaway, Mashburn, Baker, Van Exel, Houston, Cassell.

Arthur

• Options

@VintagemanEd said:
    Who is in 93?

WEBBER and the first yr of refractors.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the 1992 stadium club basketball have the same sticking issues that other high gloss cards from that era? I bought 6 boxes of 1993 Stadium Club and they were bricks.

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:
    Does the 1992 stadium club basketball have the same sticking issues that other high gloss cards from that era? I bought 6 boxes of 1993 Stadium Club and they were bricks.

I know the Members Only sets from that year have a reputation for being bricked so I have to imagine that the possibility exists. The "wax" packs from 1992, however, were not airtight so they may have a chance. I'm not a certified veterinarian so I'm not sure exactly what having access to open air would have on the chemical bond that occurred in high heat/humidity storage.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@ndleo said:

I know the Members Only sets from that year have a reputation for being bricked so I have to imagine that the possibility exists. The "wax" packs from 1992, however, were not airtight so they may have a chance. I'm not a certified veterinarian so I'm not sure exactly what having access to open air would have on the chemical bond that occurred in high heat/humidity storage.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur. I did open a jumbo box about 5 years ago and the cards were fine. However the cards are packed looser than the "wax" box.

As far as the Jumbo Boxes being sealed, I haven't seen one with the Topps logo wrap. Every one I have seen has been unwrapped..

Mike
  • Options

@rtimmer said:

@chaz43 said:

chaz

Didn’t do it long enough? He’s the oldest guy in the league. I’d predict Vince is a first ballot Hall of Famer but easily gets in either way though.

1992, 1993 and 1998 boxes are super cheap in my opinion but I’d pass on the 97 Tim Duncan boxes as over valued.

I never said he wasn't a hall of famer. His upside is not that great for card value as compared to ShaqDaddy. You see shaq everywhere....where is Vin???

chaz

• Options

@ndleo said:

Regular 1992 Topps Stadium Club Series 2 wax is fine (no problems with sticking). It's got the Shaq and Jordan beam team cards along with other Hall of Famers.

chaz

• Options

@ndleo said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@ndleo said:

Arthur

As far as the Jumbo Boxes being sealed, I haven't seen one with the Topps logo wrap. Every one I have seen has been unwrapped..

Those boxes have been mined for Beam Teams for the past 28 years. A sealed jumbo box is a hobby unicorn. I would stay far away from unsealed jumbo boxes. They invariably get bid up to a premium as though there could be Beam Team cards inside and there's almost certainly no chance that there is.

Arthur

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020 12:04PM

I purchased the members only set a couple of years ago in which majority of the cards locked together in a brick form. It was a little difficult to separate them. The beam teams on the other hand were not in the brink form and come out of the box unmarked. The Shaq and Jordan graded out in 9's. I'm been fortunate over the years to pull to Shaq beam teamer out of wax pack twice. The first was in 92 and that card is long gone, but I was able to pull another Shaq again in either 2016 or 17. This time I graded the card and it popped a 10. Since it's a pack pull, that will probably go to the grave with me.

I've opened a lot of 92 TSC over the years and have seen two beam team cards come out of boxes several times, but normally you'll get one. I wouldn't touch a box that's does not have the Topps security wrap on it. I've also seen an uptick over the last year in this product . The Shaq Beam team card is very inconsistent when it comes to sales. I've seen a pack pull sell for $600-$700 and as low as a recent sale for $350. There's still a ton of the product still out there that is untouched. The good thing for now is the beam team pop is relatively low. Wax there has been 1422 graded with 106 being 10's & Members Only 392 with 53 being 10's

Here's my pack pull

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

Yeah, I grew concerned about the bricking of the MO sets a few years ago and picked this up cheap.

Arthur

• Options

That Shaq Beam Team is one of my favorite cards. It came out at the sweet spot of my hobby love. Most of the 1980's were all about Topps baseball (and 1984 Donruss), but 1989-early 1990's brought a huge wave of new products across all sports.
    I actually collected all four sports for about 5 years.

Mike
  • Options

Picked up these 2 to spend my weekend inside

• Options

@rtimmer said:
    Picked up these 2 to spend my weekend inside

Sweet... looking forward to seeing you pull a Shaq or MJ Beam Team!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck! I vividly remember my younger brother pulling the Barkley beam team back in 92. To say I was green with envy is an understatement.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I bet those smell gooood. I can almost imagine the smell of 1992 Stadium Club and Upper Deck.

That's not weird, right? I'll let myself out.

Arthur

• Options

Here’s the first box

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

To a deluxe apartment in the sky?

Andy

• Options

Here’s the stadium club box which was much better

• Options

Centering looks good on those Beam Team cards. If the corners and surfaces are sharp, I would say you will double your money when they PSA 10.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rtimmer said:
    Here’s the first box

To this day I still think that the Jordan on the right has one of the coolest MJ oncard images ever.

• Options

@rtimmer said:

First I want to thank Ed for starting this post boy did he get it right predicting Shaq cards were starting to move up.

Second talk about a value added post quoted above... 😀

In Feb you could pick up a 1993 Finest box for $300 and today they are $1000, 92 upper deck went from $50 to $150 and Stadium club from $60 to $260, and 1998 Topps Chrome went from $300 to $450.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

Those boxes have been mined for Beam Teams for the past 28 years. A sealed jumbo box is a hobby unicorn. I would stay far away from unsealed jumbo boxes. They invariably get bid up to a premium as though there could be Beam Team cards inside and there's almost certainly no chance that there is.

Arthur

Great advice that I chose to ignore this weekend. I had four jumbo boxes that were not wrapped I sold two and kept two to open or sell later. Here’s the first one that I opened:

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

Picked this one up recently

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

This had to be 4 or 5 years ago, there’s a honey hole my buddy and I go to once in awhile. This store has wax from the 80’s to current. It’s pretty depleted if you go today, but once in awhile you can still find some hidden gems. Anyway we purchased 4 boxes of 92-93 TSC series 2 basketball for $20 a box. Mid way through the first box I pull the Shaq beam team and seconds later he hits the Jordan beam. You want to talk about two 40 year olds acting like kids again. The moment was priceless. Lets move forward three months later I popped a 10 on the Shaq and he popped a 10 on the Jordan. I don’t know about you, but when you pop a 10 out of a pack pull it is the greatest feeling.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

Found some in our inventory last week. Most of these came from a collection we purchased in Kentucky

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

Nice Beam Teams

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shows how many of these are out there still, and in good shape.

@tsalems1 said:
    Found some in our inventory last week. Most of these came from a collection we purchased in Kentucky