Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hobby headaches.

What are some of your pet peeves in the hobby?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it's rain. I hate when it rains on a day that I'm expecting a card. I picked up a card yesterday from the mailbox, and it was raining. I just can't stand it. It's quite annoying.

• Options

Water and cards do not mix!!!!

• Options

Thank goodness it was a Larry Bird card and not a Joe Louis card that was in my mailbox when it was raining! If it would have been a Joe Louis card, I would have just called in the coast guard to retrieve it for me!!!!

• Options

• Options

Please Ebay sellers, stop listing cards as rookie cards, when they're clearly not rookie cards!! The 1948 Topps Magic Photo Joe Louis card is not Joe's rookie card!!

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Ebay sellers that have no business putting grades on cards and have no clue between VG and Nrmt.
    Also a certain seller of vintage cards that seems to have grabbed most of the vintage sets and sells cards at outrages prices which makes it quite difficult for the regular person to purchase even though most of his stuff is garbage. NAME WILL REMAIN ANNOMOMOUS.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

eBay sellers that post scans of their cards, but cut off the corners and/or that post a picture that looks as though it was taken through the bottom of a pop bottle.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLF said:
    eBay sellers that post scans of their cards, but cut off the corners and/or that post a picture that looks as though it was taken through the bottom of a pop bottle.

I think a lot of these are due to 'auto-cropping' from scanner software which always seems to crop too tightly, but some definitely do it to deceive.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Saying "centered" and it's not even close.
    Or taking a picture at a odd angle to lessen the appearance of your off center card.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Not having a big enough room in my house to display all the things I want to look at when I sit in my office!

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Buyers who ask what my lowest price is when I have it up as best OFFER.

Sellers who keyword spam PSA or BGS in title and its not graded

Someone putting a card that had 1 million made and saying RARE

People who use an ebay listing where the price being asked is $5000 and saying that is what the card is "going for" when the other 1000 listings have it up as a BIN of $1-$2

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2020 9:42AM

Death Merchants. People taking pleasure over making money off the death of an athlete.

Fake packs. eBay is littered with people scamming people with fake vintage packs. Why eBay does not police this fraud is beyond me.

Inaccurate title listings. 1/1, mint, rare, etc

People charging PSA 10 prices for their ungraded "PSA 10???" card

Trimmers.

The large scale fraud that completely took over the hobby/business over the past couple of years. It is no different than fraud in any other business and should be treated as such. People that commit fraud should go to jail. If their are actual consequences to committing such acts you might see things cleaned up a bit.

Large scale eBayers like 4 sharp corners/New England Sports cards, PWCC and tntnorthnj. The worst of the worst on eBay.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing. I don't let anything get to me anymore. I just want to have fun in this hobby.

Arthur

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Water and cards do not mix!!!!

B)

• Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

When I’m searching for Heritage autos and they have non auto in the title.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Product is drying up. Not really. If you wish to pay the price it's available.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

People that still spell a players name wrong on a card they are trying to sell on Ebay. It's right there on the card !

• Options

@FINESTKIND said:
    People that still spell a players name wrong on a card they are trying to sell on Ebay. It's right there on the card !

If I had a penny for everytime I've seen LOUIS spelled LEWIS on a Joe Louis card listing, I would have a fresh, crisp, juicy $50 bill in my hand right now!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FINESTKIND said:

Those are often some of the best deals you'll find, as the listings get left out of a lot of searches, and the competition is sparse. Y'all don't even wanna know how many Thurmon Munsan cards I've picked up over the years for next to nothin'!

• Options
    ScottAScottA Posts: 33 ✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    What are some of your pet peeves in the hobby?

Apostrophes. Doesn't anyone know how to use them anymore?

• Options

Several things: pages upon pages dedicated to team sets and commons from an individual seller; over-graded vintage raw cards; cards that are priced well above the point of reason that I need; real-life obligations/situations that keep me from splurging on the cards I need and the fact that many local sellers don't carry singles to build sets i.e. Topps Heritage in my case.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

SMR: Definitely not a clear understanding of sales & value.
    Vintage cards: Days are gone when you could pay 5 value and get 6 & 7's.
    Sellers listing common 70's & 80's cards in PSA 5 for 7.99 + shipping. Why in the world did you submit in the first place?

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

People who list semi-high numbers as high numbers