Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Basketball Card Enthusiasts--especially guys over 40...Input wanted

Guys,
Last November I started an interesting project. Basketball cards have had a very sporadic history, to say the least.
From 1958 until the late 60's, Topps abandoned hoops. Probably for the same reason that I don't make too many--they don't sell. Still, I enjoy them. I have begun small fantasy sets beginning with an 8-card run of 58-59 and a 5-card run of 59-60. Another small batch to represent 60-61 is due out soon. Basically, these are "what they may have looked like cards".
I took into consideration what execs may have been thinking given successes/failures they had experienced and what production techniques were available. While we enjoy the challenge of Topps '57 set today--it was NOT popular at all that year. Topps scrapped it the following year leaving us a major void in that end of the sportscard genre.
CARD DESIGN...
I figured to build some awareness of the expanding league, they would have featured large logos and try to build some familiarity with the visual aspects of the court. Next, they needed to "personalize" the players. Make the faces friendly and marketable as most fans had never seen these guys up close; hence the photos featuring their close-ups. The '58 set was born.
What would you suggest for elements of a 1960-1961 design?

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t help you with your question, but it is a great concept you have here.

• 1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I agree, fun idea. The baseball and football cards around these years are colorful if a little boring. Basically players in a pose and that’s it.

I think adding the logos of the teams would be smart.

1962 football design would be a good start. Has a small action picture with a large pose picture of the player. Maybe have the team logo in the lower left then add player name, team name, and position under the larger picture. A hardwood boarder instead of black would be a good touch.

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

@1957Braves said:
    I agree, fun idea. The baseball and football cards around these years are colorful if a little boring. Basically players in a pose and that’s it.

1962 football design would be a good start. Has a small action picture with a large pose picture of the player. Maybe have the team logo in the lower left then add player name, team name, and position under the larger picture. A hardwood boarder instead of black would be a good touch.

This is good stuff. The '62ish would be sharp! Thank you!

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

@1957Braves said:

I am working on this a bit today. I am going to format things similar to '62 Football with some design element variation.
    The artwork and print will be touched up a bit. I want them to look "in period" but still want attractive cards and will post some here when they're taking shape.

• 1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I think that’s amazing. Would definitely fit the time period and captures what you were looking for. League awareness, team awareness, strong player identification, action shot. Looks really good.

Thank you! I'll be looking to do the other 60's sets and let me know if you get any more ideas!

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

That Big O card is a beauty.