RIP Kirk Douglas

Comments

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

    RIP. My favorite movie of his was Paths of Glory.

    Hello, I'm a Joe Louis card addict.

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Kirk's favorite was "Lust for Life".

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

    May he RIP. A legend.

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 21,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great actor...RIP.

    Canadian Dimes Set
    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64
    RIP image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever
  • keetskeets Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Kirk Douglas was a great actor with a fascinating look and voice inflection that was unique. he has quiet a number of really good movies, I especially liked him in "Lonely Are The Brave" from about 1962. he plays a Cowboy at odds with the Modern World who gets thrown into jail to break out his friend.

    he lived a long, full life and has left us with a wonderful legacy.

    --- George Carlin RIP, he'd have a lot of fresh material if he was alive today!!
  • TabeTabe Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭

    @keets said:

    left us with a wonderful legacy.

    If she were still around, Natalie Wood might disagree with this.

  • keetskeets Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2020 3:09AM

    "Let Tabe, who is without sin, cast the first stone."

    --- George Carlin RIP, he'd have a lot of fresh material if he was alive today!!
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Tabe said:

    @keets said:

    left us with a wonderful legacy.

    If she were still around, Natalie Wood might disagree with this.

    I didn't bring this up because I figured few would care.

    Read a book on Natalie written by her sister several years ago. Natalie had some wonderful successes in Hollywood, but had a LOT of bad things happen to her.

    If the allegations are true, this was about as bad as it gets. Several hour violent rape of a minor, putting her in the hospital.

    It was never reported and Kirk was never charged with a crime. He denied the accusations, saying only that he was an alcoholic and a "womanizer" in the past.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TabeTabe Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭

    @keets said:
    "Let Tabe, who is without sin, cast the first stone."

    I'm pretty comfortable with the idea that having a wonderful legacy means you didn't violently rape a minor. I don't claim to be without sin but I'm also comfortable with casting the first stone in this case.

  • keetskeets Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2020 6:18PM

    I just don't understand the state of mind that waits until someone has died to bring up something from the distant past, as if it makes you feel good about yourself. it was the same members regarding Kobe Bryant. to me, it says more about those members than it does about Bryant and Douglas.

    I wonder what you guys think of our president??

    --- George Carlin RIP, he'd have a lot of fresh material if he was alive today!!
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Tabe said:

    @keets said:
    "Let Tabe, who is without sin, cast the first stone."

    I'm pretty comfortable with the idea that having a wonderful legacy means you didn't violently rape a minor. I don't claim to be without sin but I'm also comfortable with casting the first stone in this case.

    Douglas supposedly told her that if she said anything he would destroy her career.

    Natalie's mother (quite the piece of work as well) had been waiting outside of the hotel in her car, took Natalie to the hospital and did not report the incident as a rape. She was pretty obsessed with Natalie becoming a Hollywood star.

    All in all, if this is true, what a pathetic story. In the end Natalie was most likely murdered by her husband.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TabeTabe Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2020 11:49PM

    @keets said:
    I just don't understand the state of mind that waits until someone has died to bring up something from the distant past, as if it makes you feel good about yourself. it was the same members regarding Kobe Bryant. to me, it says more about those members than it does about Bryant and Douglas.

    I wonder what you guys think of our president??

    Well, when people go on about a great legacy or somebody being a great husband, it's very definitely appropriate to show how those things aren't true. Especially when the is no remorse or apology.

    As for our President, can't stand the guy.

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Tabe said:

    @keets said:
    I just don't understand the state of mind that waits until someone has died to bring up something from the distant past, as if it makes you feel good about yourself. it was the same members regarding Kobe Bryant. to me, it says more about those members than it does about Bryant and Douglas.

    I wonder what you guys think of our president??

    Well, when people go on about a great legacy or somebody being a great husband, it's very definitely appropriate to show how those things aren't true. Especially when the is no remorse or apology.

    As for our President, can't stand the guy.

    It's really quite simple.

    Someone who has had a great amount of success dies, and gets eulogized as one of the "All Time Greats", with people going on and on about how fantastic they were. Others then mention that they had some pretty horrible accusations against them and they get ripped for bringing it up.

    Kobe and Kirk were both wonderful performers at their craft. Neither were convicted of rape. Kirk wasn't even charged, but the fact remains that they had some pretty serious allegations against them that MIGHT be true. The Douglas rumors are particularly disturbing.

    As far as our President goes, I'll never forget the day I looked at the ballot and saw my choice was between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. I did vote for Trump as the lesser of two evils.

    He's the elected President of our country and deserves the respect that goes along with that, but he's also one of the greatest(?) con men in history. We've had worse.

    My hope is that this country can find a leader who will attempt to unify the country, or at least get things moving in that direction.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
Sign In or Register to comment.