Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1992 UD Shaq rookie question

So are the high series boxes the ones to find all Shaq rookie variations?

Comments

• HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2020 5:07AM

Yes. Any redemption in series 1 would be long expired, and I don;t think there were actually any. A redemption in series 2 existed for what was referred to as a series 1 card does exist. (may not have that straight) Forgot what it was but there was some funky contractual thing keeping Shaq out of series 1 anywhere.

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Shaq was initially only licensed to the classic card brand. So the first card you could pack pull was in upper deck series 2. The series one has a redemption card which is the one you see you today labeled as trade card.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Series 1 boxes only contained a redemption card, since Shaq was initially exclusive to Classic. That redemption card could be sent in for the #1 Shaq RC with the gold foil stamping at the top stating “trade card.” This is the less desirable of the #1 RCs.

Series 2 boxes have the regular #1 Shaq RC in them with gold foil stamping at the top stating “#1 Draft Pick.” This is the preferred RC version, since it only could be pack pulled and is more condition sensitive. Series 2 boxes also contain his All-Star and Top Prospect subset cards.

Hobby boxes of Series 2 contain the 15,000 point club inserts and sell for a slight premium versus retail boxes due to the Jordan 15,000 point club card. Retail boxes contain Rookie Standout inserts which includes another Shaq card.

• Cs223406Cs223406 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭✭

These are absolutely fun breaks -- I love the Hobby Series 2 --opened several -- only got a couple Shaq's (one was a PSA 9) the other is not. In my experience the redemption cards were easier to pull.

There are also some great error cards like the Jordan Slam Dunk champion, etc.

It is really one of the best basketball sets. Great photograph and captured an era of basketball that is certainly missed.

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Man this is great info! Thx to all..... I am going to be buying some of the series 2

These seem to be dare I say....... under valued

@Cs223406 said:
    These are absolutely fun breaks -- I love the Hobby Series 2 --opened several -- only got a couple Shaq's (one was a PSA 9) the other is not. In my experience the redemption cards were easier to pull.

There are also some great error cards like the Jordan Slam Dunk champion, etc.

It is really one of the best basketball sets. Great photograph and captured an era of basketball that is certainly missed.

I have to agree I open very little but the upper deck and then the 1992 stadium club basketball are 2 of my 3 favorites.

I find I usually get 1 Shaq rookie and 2 Jordan’s in a box. The Jordan hologram in one of my favorite cards too.

• magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Series 1 boxes only contained a redemption card, since Shaq was initially exclusive to Classic. That redemption card could be sent in for the #1 Shaq RC with the gold foil stamping at the top stating “trade card.” This is the less desirable of the #1 RCs.

Series 2 boxes have the regular #1 Shaq RC in them with gold foil stamping at the top stating “#1 Draft Pick.” This is the preferred RC version, since it only could be pack pulled and is more condition sensitive. Series 2 boxes also contain his All-Star and Top Prospect subset cards.

Hobby boxes of Series 2 contain the 15,000 point club inserts and sell for a slight premium versus retail boxes due to the Jordan 15,000 point club card. Retail boxes contain Rookie Standout inserts which includes another Shaq card.

B)

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're both very condition-sensitive, with each card having a strike rate under 5%. I still need to get a 1.

Arthur

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    They're both very condition-sensitive, with each card having a strike rate under 5%. I still need to get a 1.

Arthur

The 2 I pulled nearly 30 years ago looked nothing like the 10 here. That's a sharp card @ReggieCleveland

These series 2 seem like they should be moving soon

• magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2020 4:57AM

B)

@hyperchipper09 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

The 2 I pulled nearly 30 years ago looked nothing like the 10 here. That's a sharp card @ReggieCleveland

Yeah, I actually still have the one that I got from them in the mail back in 1992. I immediately put it in a penny sleeve and a top loader and it stayed there more than 25 years. I sent it in on a sub maybe a year ago and it came back a 7. I'm guessing the foil wreaked havoc on all of these cards. The '92 UD basketball cards are just tough to get 10s in, in general.

Arthur

My point exactly..... these UD’s should be going for more, especially the unopened boxes

Let’s buy a case and split it up! Anyone have any cases to sell?

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had several of the 1a version and couldn't sell them for $10 each. Picked the two best ones and sent them to PSA a couple years ago. Both came back 10's. I was stunned. Sold one right away and kept the other a while before I sold it this past summer. Kinda wish I still had it. Bought a few boxes of the Series 2 and pulled a couple more but not worth subbing. Virtually no value if not a 10. As stated....VERY condition sensitive. But, they are fun rips and while I haven't looked lately, the last boxes were about $35 delivered, from what I remember. Much easier to swallow then some of the current boxes running $200 or more.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • It seems strange that it is so co Siri on sensitive but still so cheap. Those 2 characteristics should line up more very soon I would think with boxes moving up in value

• chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

I see these guys all the time selling multiple boxes of 92' Upper Deck High series and TSC Series 2 for cheap ($40 -$60 / box) and I am telling you they are going to regret it.... when wax goes up...it goes up overnight and the ship has sailed and it ain't comin' back.....

chaz

C'mon man, be honest, you just got your hands on a case, didn't you?

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

You have no idea....

chaz

@chaz43 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

You have no idea....

chaz

I have one box left...LOL

chaz