Home Q & A Forum

Are cleaned medals more acceptable than cleaned coins?

oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been collecting medals for a few years now. These date from the 18th century. 99% of them are raw. I've run across a number of cleaned copper and bronze medals, which I avoid. However, I'm wondering if these are more acceptable to the medal collecting community than their coin counterparts are to the coin collecting community. I ask because it was, I believe, a common practice for collectors to clean coins at one time. Since medals tend to be "collected" rather than put aside by non-collectors, they would have been less likely to escape a well-intentioned cleaning, perhaps.

Answers

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally would not clean them.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original patina and aging of medals is just as important IMHO. The original presentation box or case is also valued. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The original presentation box or case is also valued.”

Very much agree.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

neither

Frank

BHNC #203