Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grading help and guidance sought 1872 Newfoundland 10 cents

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 4, 2020 5:11PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Beyond my beloved Washington quarters, I find myself more and more pulled to the dark side.

Just as I like to look through US 90% junk bins for certain varieties or conditional standouts, I find myself perusing world junk bins. I figure I may stumble upon a series, etc that I eventually want to complete or get higher graded examples of. Until then I am having fun learning more about world coins, history,etc. As of now I just have a small, eclectic collection of raw world coins.

As for my question, can anyone help me value this coin, in the sense of grade? Would it straight grade?

The reason I ask is that, as I go about this collecting journey, I am trying to set aside the ones worthy of submission.

Any and all information, advice is appreciated.

Edit to add: I am asking about this coin specifically because of its low mintage. I am unsure if an example in this condition is nonetheless worth a premium.

Comments

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I think it is no more than Fine. It would not be worth sending to a TPG unless it is a known rare variety. I have no knowledge of such things.

• Options

@Moxie15 said:
    I think it is no more than Fine. It would not be worth sending to a TPG unless it is a known rare variety. I have no knowledge of such things.

Thank you.

I should have added that I am asking about this coin specifically because it has a low mintage (~40,000).

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1872-H Newfoundland 10 Cents (KM-3 & Y-3) had a mintage of 40,000 (this is one of the lower mintage coins in the series). The 1986 Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins listed the value as 16.00 in VG and 30.00 in Fine and 65.00 in VF. The 14th edition of A Catalog of Modern World Coins 1850-1964 (2008) lists a type coin value of 38.00 in VF but does not list values for lower grades. That coin is probably a VG or Fine by wear but has unattractive spotting.

I doubt if it would be worth slabbing but it certainly does have some value.Not bad for a junk box find.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2020 5:45PM

It is desirable as a collector's coin, but I can't see the economics of having this slabbed.

The 2019 edition (latest 9th edition) of the 19th Century SCWC/ Krause says $22 in VG8 and $35 in F12.

• Options

Thank you guys. You have helped solidify my opinion. Great find for a junk box. Not worth slabbing. Definitely a keeper, for the time being.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinsandcanada.com is the site you want to save and visit often. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

It Trends for $60 Cdn in F in Canadian Coin News, which is about $45 US. You wouldn't get that amount of money for it because of the spotting and Trends being pretty liberal with their Trends. It's definitely not worth Cert'ing. Newf coins ALL have pretty small mintages, but there aren't a huge amount of collectors... even 10,000 minted may not get many bites.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

Current Canadian Trends is between $40 + $60 CAD or $30 to $48 USD. I would grade it VG10.

A friend once said "only thing scarcer than Newfie coins are collectors of Newfie coins". My experience is there are two types of collectors for Newfie coins. Those who collect the pop tops and those who put together an avg circ set in a folder.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

@syl said:
    It Trends for $60 Cdn in F in Canadian Coin News, which is about $45 US. You wouldn't get that amount of money for it because of the spotting and Trends being pretty liberal with their Trends. It's definitely not worth Cert'ing. Newf coins ALL have pretty small mintages, but there aren't a huge amount of collectors... even 10,000 minted may not get many bites.

@1960NYGiants said:
    Current Canadian Trends is between $40 + $60 CAD or $30 to $48 USD. I would grade it VG10.

A friend once said "only thing scarcer than Newfie coins are collectors of Newfie coins". My experience is there are two types of collectors for Newfie coins. Those who collect the pop tops and those who put together an avg circ set in a folder.

Thanks for the insight. I guess that explains my confusion with this coin. It is obviously a small mintage but my research was not showing it to be a very popular coin in lower grades.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1960NYGiants said:

I'm the second type of collector but I do have a 1946 Newfy 5 Cent INSB VF30

IMO the lack of hair detail puts this at VG8 based on Charlton and Wiley's Standard Grading Guide of Canadian Coins

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the coin would straight grade and find it attractive in a "done my job and still hanging around" kind of way. Nice pick up!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:

I try to keep NFLD coinage in stock, but I have found the only harder than finding original, attractive and wonderful pieces is finding the folks who might pay for them! Ugh...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great junk box find. I'm in the Tom Bush camp on that one. A nice Air Tite capsule would do justice to your piece : )

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole set is fun to put together. My 1872 H is comparable to yours.
    I keep my set in old pages.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Looks VG. Good chance TPG will say environmental damage.

• Options

Love Newfoundland coins. Guess I'm the second version. I absolutely love the pitcher plant engraving, that's what got me hooked...the rest are more a tribute to my OCD.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 9:59AM

NFL is a sleeping market.....
    Your coin. OMO max VG8 cleaned. Retail Value Max on a nice day in todays buyers market realistically: US $ 15-20.
    One day we all wake up after having a "NFL coin dream" and... suprise, surprise... all our NFL coins have doubled ior more in value....because collectors and investors woke up, and the gold coins will be 10x current value.
    It is a dream... but not so far fetched.
    IF NFL would be a US state, the NFL coins would be valued many times more than what they are now.
    I have many High Grade and rare NFL coins from large cents to 50 cent to the Gold $ 2. Including the scare 1946 nickel, 1880 narrow 0 cent, an 1873H nickel and 1880 $2 gold.
    However, there are quite a few holes in that collection above XF grades.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

I only have two. And I just stumbled upon these. But I will be adding a few more when I find them.

• Options

Since starting this thread I have developed a small interest in the Newfoundland coins. I haven't gone looking for any, but I was lucky enough to find one in a junk bin for just above spot. A circulated 1880 20 cent coin. Seems it was trying to find me. Maybe I will have to start looking for these. They are fun.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Newfy set is a fun set to put together. I did this about 20 years ago in circulated grades. Most are reasonable priced. There are a few tough ones, like the 1946 5 Cent with a mintage of slightly over 2000 coins, but that won't break the bank in circulated grades (problem is finding a nice one available).

You could also try doing a set of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Library of Coins albums for Newfoundland and British North America (includes the Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island) are collectible, too, but nice ones can be pricey. Look for Volume 68 and 69.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a related note, I came across this on Saturday while going through some junk Canadian silver dimes I had bought years ago:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug