Home Autographs Forum
Options

Ruth/Hornsby+others passed from Grandfather

I have a ball with Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby, Schoolboy Rowe, Chuck Dreesen and others I can't distinguish that was left to me. In my eyes he was truthful when it comes to its authenticity, but I feel like the condition is pretty poor. This has been a few years since his passing and he meant a lot to me, so not sure if selling is an option, but also not sure how to get it authenticated/valued beyond sending it in. Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2020 7:57AM

If authentic, nice ball!

Mongo approved

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would put it up on eBay for an insane price that no one will bid at, with tons of pics (including any logos on the ball), and get a Quick Opinion: https://www.psacard.com/store/p-50-quickopinion.aspx

It's only $10 that route, and if obviously bad, a rejection there is much cheaper than sending in for full authentication. If you get a 'likely good', that's a green light to send in for full authentication and pony up the $$ (it won't be cheap with Ruth). If 'unable to render opinion', I'd still take the gamble on the full authentication as many would not touch an item like that without.

@Outhaul said:
    If authentic, nice ball!

My thoughts exactly.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    I would put it up on eBay for an insane price that no one will bid at, with tons of pics (including any logos on the ball), and get a Quick Opinion: https://www.psacard.com/store/p-50-quickopinion.aspx

It's only $10 that route, and if obviously bad, a rejection there is much cheaper than sending in for full authentication. If you get a 'likely good', that's a green light to send in for full authentication and pony up the $$ (it won't be cheap with Ruth). If 'unable to render opinion', I'd still take the gamble on the full authentication as many would not touch an item like that without.

Thx for the tip - that is some pretty useful advice!

I don't know anything about QI but I assume from your post that it is a review of an online listing.

I have a Che Guevara I want slabbed - not sure which company I checked but it was $200 to authenticate if I recall. Your idea would possibly save me ton of money.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2020 12:48PM

@JBK said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Thx for the tip - that is some pretty useful advice!

I don't know anything about QI but I assume from your post that it is a review of an online listing.

I have a Che Guevara I want slabbed - not sure which company I checked but it was $200 to authenticate if I recall. Your idea would possibly save me ton of money.

Correct, and if you decide to submit for full auth, you get a credit for the $10 ...

Before you spend hundreds of dollars, invest as little as $10 on peace of mind. Plus apply the QuickOpinion purchase price as a credit towards full PSA authentication.

And it's quick, usually a day or two.

• Options
    rs209107rs209107 Posts: 3
    edited February 5, 2020 5:16PM

So I posted it to eBay/submitted for a PSA opinion. Realized there was a possible Casey Stengel too. There is one that looks like "RiRi C.." anyone have an idea on that, or any others they may identify?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-Rogers-Hornsby-Casey-Stengel-Others-Autograph-Baseball/174182776395

• Options

Kiki Cuyler and I'd jack the price up higher than that ($250k?) if you're not sure if you want to sell or not. Somebody might jump on it at that price.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    Kiki Cuyler and I'd jack the price up higher than that ($250k?) if you're not sure if you want to sell or not. Somebody might jump on it at that price.

Agree. There could a rare sig om there you haven't identified yet.

Also. Is the QO fee per sig?

BTW, nice sigs, hope it all works out.

• Options

@JBK said:

@LarkinCollector said:

I've only done with single signed items, so I'm not positive. In this case, I would initially only worry about the Ruth from a QO perspective. That one should give a good indication of the likelihood of the others being genuine.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@JBK said:

@LarkinCollector said:

I've only done with single signed items, so I'm not positive. In this case, I would initially only worry about the Ruth from a QO perspective. That one should give a good indication of the likelihood of the others being genuine.

Thx, More solid advice... :)

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I think I see Pie Traynor on there as well (a couple below Ruth)?

Jim

• Options

@rs209107 said:
    So I posted it to eBay/submitted for a PSA opinion. Realized there was a possible Casey Stengel too. There is one that looks like "RiRi C.." anyone have an idea on that, or any others they may identify?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-Rogers-Hornsby-Casey-Stengel-Others-Autograph-Baseball/174182776395

Any word back on the Quick Opinion?

• Options

Unable to render opinion, so I'm going to try and find an authenticator in person. Thanks for all the help!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much do authenticators charge for a multiple signature ball like that?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Chart is here: https://www.psacard.com/pricing/Autographs/

$350 for a Ruth with 9 other sigs. I didn't count, just picked a number.