Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

A comment to sellers

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 3, 2020 5:43PM in PSA Set Registry Forum

I find myself immersed in collecting a player who has MANY variations. I mean MANY! When searching through eBay and elsewhere for various cards, I often times find sellers who only show a pic of the front of the card. I assure you, there is specific information on the back of the card that needs to be known. All cards do not have normal numbers like 2, 345, 19. My stuff has numbers like AGR-DO, HRDO1, C95, and TSOPV. So, when you list, and don't include the back, there is no way to really know what version you are selling. It would enhance your sales and make decisions much easier for buyers to always include the back of the card.

My 2 cents.

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Most likely they are not aware of the variations.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

A back scan is always a good idea, even on a blank backed card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    sufferingbillsfansufferingbillsfan Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited February 3, 2020 8:51PM

Is this what is going on with the 96 UD Kobe #58 cards?There is a PSA 9 currently at $1775 with multiple bidders and what appears to be the same card going ungraded for less than $15. I’m not a basketball collector so I’m clearly missing something.

• Options

@sufferingbillsfan said:
    Is this what is going on with the 96 UD Kobe #58 cards?There is a PSA 9 currently at $1775 with multiple bidders and what appears to be the same card going ungraded for less than $15. I’m not a basketball collector so I’m clearly missing something.

No, you are missing the point.

It is just important as a collector to see both sides of the card. AND, if you post a fuzzy, or out of focus card, it tells me you may be trying to hide the actual condition of the card (assuming its raw). I could post MANY like this, but don't think its ethical for me to do so. Unless those kind of offerings are critical to my collection, I just move on. When a raw card is listed, it obviously doesn't have the flip to help identify exactly what the card is, having the back to view, tells you everything.

• Options

That reminds me of the seller who would take a photo of the card from an angle to make it appear more well centered.

I don't know if he fooled anyone, but for that reason only I would never bid on an auction like that.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Since I jumped into the collection fray again...(have put together 3, 55 Topps graded sets), I have seen some very sketchy listings. I agree that there appears to be in some cases some angling and fuzzy pics.

• Options

If your selling, don't be in a rush to list your item, take lots of photos including the backs and the corners.You should also scan your photos, rather than using a phone. I believe you can add up to 9 photos when listing an item on EBAY. Listing your item with all the specifics with nice photos gets more views, followers, and a higher price.

• Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    That reminds me of the seller who would take a photo of the card from an angle to make it appear more well centered.

I don't know if he fooled anyone, but for that reason only I would never bid on an auction like that.

I agree, but some years ago, I purchased a well centered 71 T. Munson in PSA 8 that was photographed at an angle, the seller did so to avoid 'flash' from his camera. Probably cost him big time. Card was centered, and crazy nice.

Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options

@TheDudeAbides said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I agree, but some years ago, I purchased a well centered 71 T. Munson in PSA 8 that was photographed at an angle, the seller did so to avoid 'flash' from his camera. Probably cost him big time. Card was centered, and crazy nice.

Yes, I have seen that, but I was referring more to the raw card trickery.

A guy selling a PSA 8 Munson rookie should be able to afford a scanner!!!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't count how many times I've been interested in a card, and went to view it and there's no back scan. It is inexcusable not to scan the back of the card. I'm getting angry just thinking about it, I better leave this thread before I say something that I might regret.

• Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I can't count how many times I've been interested in a card, and went to view it and there's no back scan. It is inexcusable not to scan the back of the card. I'm getting angry just thinking about it, I better leave this thread before I say something that I might regret.

I'm with you on no back scans. I've bought a few without them and every time I've regretted it.

• Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I think the big thing is...they don't want to have to buy a scanner because there is less for cards.