Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

BUY SELL POLICY

We have just posted a buy/sell policy in the RULES section of the set registry as follows:

The PCGS Set Registry is to be used to list collections of coins and is not to be used to sell coins. Listing a coin(s) with the intent to sell it and/or pricing a coin(s) in the registry will not be accepted. The set registry is self-policing. Should you see a infraction of this policy, please report it to setregistry@collectors.com.

Additionally, there is a PCGS Buy, Sell & Trade messageboard that we encourage you to use for all of your commerce transactions.

As always, thank you for your cooperation. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to email me directly.

BJ Searls
bsearls@collectors.com
Set Registry & Special Projects Director
PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Listing a coin(s) with the intent to sell it and/or pricing a coin(s) in the registry will not be accepted. >>

Putting a price in the comments section will be easy to police. However, how do you intend to divine the "intent" of the owner of the coin? Mind probe?image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BJ: Well done. I am impressed at how quickly you and CU were able to address this novel issue. While your decision appears to be the "minority position" from the posts I have read lately, I do believe it helps to maintain the "integrity" of what the Registry is all about. image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    BJ:

Out of curiousity, how do you interpret this rule as far as sets that have been consigned for sale and the consignor decides to list the coins in the Registry (not the owner)? Is that considered intent to sell?
    Keith ™

• Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    It should be expected that many collectors put together their sets with the intention of eventually selling them. That's why we have the ATF section, so that those great collections, even though sold, can still be enjoyed. What the policy is referring to is the blatant use of the registry to gain profit. That is not in keeping with the spirit of the registry, which is this... a place where collectors can come together, list their sets, and compete in a friendly environment. A person who has no intention of building a set, is invited to list his/her coins for sale in the buy, sell & trade messageboards.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
  • Options
    Keith,

I assume you are referring to the Superior listing of the SDC Lincoln proof sets. If the set is legitimate (and in this case it is... SDC has two other very impressive sets listed in the registry at the present time), then we don't have a problem with this type of listing. Superior has not posted opening bid prices nor have they even put a description of the sale in the comments section. Once this set is sold, it will remain in the ATF section of the registry. SDC, who has sold other sets in the past, is a coin collector of distinction, and we are proud to list his set.

Will Superior and SDC gain from listing the set in the registry? Perhaps. That same advantage is something that all of you have who are building fine sets and listing them in the registry.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    AS ALWAYS

who would expect different image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Not that one...the one in the 59+ Circulated set. That one is just wrong...IMO of course image...and should be pulled immediately...and I don't collect Lincolns if they don't have Wheat on 'em...but I bet it's pretty annoying to see for those that are ligit in this Series...

Lincolns
  • Options
    The owner of the 1959-Present Lincoln sets has been emailed.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
  • Options
    image That's great!!! There are many people that have worked very, very hard to make Top 5 Sets and are quite proud of their accomplishments. It would be a shame for deep-pocket commercial entities to come in and mess things up for them.

Well that's some good news for Today!! Getting ready to go to my "All Hands" meeting here at WorldCom...wohoooo!!!!!! image Yeah, I'm fired up today...

Rob
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Happy to hear that BJ!

I personally feel that any registered set should be able to be sold anywhere except in the registry itself! Put it on ebay, BST board, auction with a dealer, etc. but the blatant use of the registry to sell any set is wrong. Link it to the registry(verification, grades, photo's), just don't allow prices in the comments section.

Thanks again BJ!
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    BJ - good policy - well put - thank you!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey BJ

You sure acted quick on this issue. Now, have you made any progress on the profile editing issue or is there already a thread on that which you can bring to the top? Specifically, the option which allows for uploading of icons. I'm still waiting since the inception of the new rule for an answer to my e-mails and PM's regarding the deletion of my icon and it's a topic periodically breeched on the forums. Perhaps this is an inappropriate time/place for my inquiry, but i've gotten no response through the proper channels. Thanks.

Al H.image
  • Options
    Al,

I'm unaware of the editing or icon problem, nor do I know how to administer it. I'll forward this link to Charlie Kahler, the Customer Service Manager, Carol Bennett, who is familiar with the software, and cc John Nelson, the Director of Internet Operations to see if one of them can help you out.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    BJ:

Here's another subtle violation of the new registry rule, a newly validated Statehood Circulation Strikes set entitled: Extra Coins for Sale or Trade
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but does anybody else see shades of George Orwell's 1984 in this thread?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks BJ. Any help would be great.

Al H.image
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Careful, Russ ... Big Brother is watching ...image
  • Options
    keets:

We are not allowing for uploading icons at this time and if any icons have disappeared, it's a replication issue.
    I was also able to log in using your information and add this to your signature line "test profile change"
    What type of error message are you receiving? You can contact me directly at Carol@Collectors.com

Carol
  • Options
    Its interesting how one move like what I did really can move a mountain. Im not one looking for personal gain, my intention was to get the PQ coins I had back to the hands of the collectors that love them as much as I do. I always regret selling my would be now # 2 set of Kennedys. But things change.

When I started the second set I was able to get some of the best Pieces just the same way I was selling mine. PMs to MS Kennedy set collectors, and completly by accident I stumbled on to a way to do it.

My intention was to let those looking see what the best coins were and description of the coin, thinking about it now is hind sight, but it really was for the collector as most coins are sold and being sold for almost zero profit, but actually sold for what I paid for them.

Interesting we still can move mountains........problem solved....image
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    image Thanks BJ!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    Bcsican,

I personally don't feel you were intentionally misusing the registry. I guess there just had to come a time when the issue because prominent enough that a policy needed to be established. Think of it in a positive way!

RGL,

I caught that state quarter set this morning and have already emailed the registrant about it. It's not big brother watching... it's big brotherS watching!
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
  • Options
    BJ--

Sounds like a reasonable addition to the rules.
    Bill

My Other Hobby
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    I think it is a great rule.. There was a thread posted the other day addressing this. Here Here.. Will you sellers come to your senses.. This is supposed to be fun!!
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks BJ,

I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought that was inappropriate.

I also did not think Bcsican was intentionally misusing the registry I just did not agree with what he did.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, but does anybody else see shades of George Orwell's 1984 in this thread? Russ, NCNE >>

I agree. The less Registry Regulations the better.
    We're pretty good at policing ourselves. If we see a Dealer acting up by abusing the Registry for his own gain (and only for doing so) it won't go unoticed or unreplied to!

Very little slips by any of us.
    I don't think we need a safety net. We ARE the safety net.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>I agree. The less Registry Regulations the better. >>

<< <i>We're pretty good at policing ourselves. If we see a Dealer acting up by abusing the Registry for his own gain (and only for doing so) it won't go unoticed or unreplied to! >>

Sorry braddick but I can't agree with that. There are so many different opinions and different interpretations all it does is create conflict on the boards. A lot of members choose to ignore the subject and apply double standards for the long time members or defend their friends honor in an attempt to make something ok when really it is not. I am not one for excessive regulations but this subject has been a thorn in a lot of sides for a long time. Obviously we as members could not come to any kind of agreement as to what was or was not inappropriate so someone had to for us.

Again Thanks BJ
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    Bill- We're not too far off on this issue really. I'm not so apposed that I'm going to debate with myself whether to continue or not in the Registeries. Not even close.
    More like 60% against.

If the Registry in question is distasteful that Dealer will only sour his reputation. Although this hobby is large in many ways, in others it is an intimate group. Once a Dealer (or Collector, for that matter) is unethical or does something unsavory it taints his reputation.
    If a Dealer is seen as abusing the Registry don't you think, even in the short term, this will hurt him and especially on those who care the most?

I do, and for this reason find self-policing the best policy.

peacockcoins

• Options
    It must be the need for more restrictions to be placed on ourselves because we apparently lack the ability to control ourselves. I dislike the idea of more rules myself for many reasons, the most basic of which is; no matter what the rule is, everyone will interpret it differently and someone has to be wrong. Why does anyone have to be wrong in an activity that is supposed to be by definition, fun.

ritchie

btw, me posting to this thread should kill it quick. I seem to have that effect on a thread.
    What will kill a thread faster than a reply from Ritchie?
  • Options
    Since I did not get an answer to my question in the other thread, I will try it here ... has anyone seen the soup Nazi episode in Seinfeld ??
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    Yes. Probably one of the top three episodes.
    "NO SOUP FOR YOU!!"

peacockcoins