Home Q & A Forum

1971 Lincoln Penny

So went to McDonald's and reciev3d change back. I found in that change a 1943 wartime silver nickel...but...most interesting I found a mint condition double dyed 3D looking 1971 Lincoln Penny. Thoughts?

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2020 6:01PM

Sorry but I can't see any indication of doubling. Where do you see it? You may want to check the following sites to see if your coin exactly matches anything. They are the most comprehensive lists of known doubled dies.

Www.doubleddie.com
    Www.varietyvista.com

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you create an image, crop out the background or zoom in on the coin for a sharp focus. We only want to examine the obv and rev. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• @Namvet69 said:
    When you create an image, crop out the background or zoom in on the coin for a sharp focus. We only want to examine the obv and rev. Peace Roy

I'm new to here and to posting. My apologies, let me see if I can get better close ups cropped. Thank you!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not seeing the doubling ... could be the pic. Also there are I believe four different 71 DDOs.

• @Oldhoopster said:
    Sorry but I can't see any indication of doubling. Where do you see it? You may want to check the following sites to see if your coin exactly matches anything. They are the most comprehensive lists of known doubled dies.

Www.doubleddie.com
    Www.varietyvista.com

The 1971 year I which was hit twice. I'm also intrigued how this penny is in great condition. Looks brighter then a 2019 penny lol.

• @Jimnight said:
    I'm not seeing the doubling ... could be the pic. Also there are I believe four different 71 DDOs.

The year 1971 looks to be st ruck twice. It's very prominent. But again I'm still shocked on how well this penny is in almost mint condition.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely it is machine doubling and does not add any extra value to the coin. One particular area does not "get struck twice". Definitely need pics that are clear and as close as possible to the coin to be sure.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sunshinepenny said:

@Jimnight said:

The year 1971 looks to be struck twice. It's very prominent. But again I'm still shocked on how well this penny is in almost mint condition.

If you think it through, if a coin was struck twice the first strike would be flattened down by the second strike, with various amounts of the first strike perhaps being visible. If you see two distinct and essentially equal images, the doubling would be in the die, unless it was machine doubling, which has a look all its own.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shiny cents can because they are:

-sitting in a “penny” roll until someone broke them out to spend

-sitting in somebody’s collection and someone decided to spend them (sometimes it’s inherited sometimes the children steal them)

-sitting in a 1971 US Mint set and someone just wanted the quarter and spent all the other coins

-cleaned, which is not a good idea if one is a coin collector but most people are not

Many reasons and all are probably wrong or they are all right or any combination and then some for a 49 yo cent.