Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan dollar toning type question

Ok. This is my first post. New here to the forum and collecting. Just wanted to share a picture of my first Morgan of 2020 and ask what type of toning. Bag, tissue paper...I'm just not sure since it is fully toned on both sides and I would like to hear from the experts. Thanks for any feedback and looking forward to getting to know the members here.

Garrett

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

And queue the AT brigade....

• Options

Welcome.

Some high sulfur environment. Possibly a cheap envelope.

Or a tank of hydrogen sulfide gas...

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    And queue the AT brigade....

I didn’t want to be the first to say it but.....

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like envelope toning to me.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2020 6:26AM

:o

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

napkin or ziplock with hardboiled yolk. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    napkin or ziplock with hardboiled yolk. Congrats!

I understand that you don’t like toning. But the OP asked a serious question and you know or should know better than what you posted.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

kraft envelope toning.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of artificial toned Morgans. I love VAMs and the coins designs a lot. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not bag or roll toning is all I can say...pretty, too.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't look AT. I agree with PCGS on this one that it is perfectly market acceptable. Look at multiple AT examples and you'll see those are quite gaudy compared to this.

I was following this one, but thought the final price was too optimistic. I don't see it as being an easy flip. Still it's a nice Morgan to someone that likes toned Morgans (like I do). And if you're happy with it, that is what is most important.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

if it was toned only on one side like this, I'd think long term storage in a Mint bag. looking like it does I would agree that it's probably from being in a sealed envelope for a long time. nice greens which aren't something usually seen and not a color that usually comes on AT coins. :)

as to those who think AT, please educate us all and tell us what your thinking is based on.

• Options

@keets said:
    if it was toned only on one side like this, I'd think long term storage in a Mint bag. looking like it does I would agree that it's probably from being in a sealed envelope for a long time. nice greens which aren't something usually seen and not a color that usually comes on AT coins. :)

as to those who think AT, please educate us all and tell us what your thinking is based on.

I don't think it's AT. I'm agnostic on toning. But, I do think I could do that in the lab if I cared to. What? You're daring me???? Maybe during Spring Break.

• Options

@morgandollar1878 said:
    kraft envelope toning.

That would be my guess, as well. But it’s just a guess.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's easier to eliminate types of tone like Bob did above. I'd say it isn't from an album or folder.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not AT. I would guess envelope toning.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    GarrettOGarrettO Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

Thanks all. Envelope toning seems to be it. Makes sense. Thanks again for taking the time.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll agree with Kraft envelope.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@morgandollar1878 said:
    kraft envelope toning.

I usually walk away from "rainbow toned" coins because I generally just don't feel I know enough about the subject and won't pay the subjective attached premiums. I do find it odd that obverse and reverse are so different. Always kind of assume "something" must cause that other than time.

• Options

@mark_dak said:

@MFeld said:

@morgandollar1878 said:
    kraft envelope toning.

I usually walk away from "rainbow toned" coins because I generally just don't feel I know enough about the subject and won't pay the subjective attached premiums. I do find it odd that obverse and reverse are so different. Always kind of assume "something" must cause that other than time.

Look at coins that have toned over long periods of time in drawers or trays. They often (if not usually) exhibit dramatic differences between obverse and reverse. The same can be said for many bag toned Morgan dollars and end-roll toners.

• Options

Slab shots...

• Options

@GarrettO said:
    Slab shots...

I still say that if you posted this image of a raw coin, most people would say AT.

I'm going to have to get a roll of BU Washingtons to experiment on.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@mark_dak said:

@MFeld said:

@morgandollar1878 said:
    kraft envelope toning.

Look at coins that have toned over long periods of time in drawers or trays. They often (if not usually) exhibit dramatic differences between obverse and reverse. The same can be said for many bag toned Morgan dollars and end-roll toners.

But don't coins stored in the manors you describe often have only one side toned, especially eor coins?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, I get that toning patterns and rainbow colors such as this are often considered "market acceptable", the Market wants to suspend disbelief and have them be OK... and that's fine, the horse is long out of that barn

But I personally cannot fathom the mental gymnastics that I would require to imagine a scenario in which this happened naturally and purely accidentally.

Kraft envelope, lmao!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OKCCOKCC Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2020 10:19PM

@GarrettO said:
    Slab shots...

What I would like to know is how to take photos of slabed Morgans and capture all the toning like this. Excellent job on the pictures.

• Options

@OKCC said:

@GarrettO said:
    Slab shots...

What I would like to know is how to take photos of slabed Morgans and capture all the toning like this. Excellent job on the pictures.

Not my pics. Hopes that is ok to post them as I didn't take them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file