Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help identifying a medieval coin

Small silver coin 17 mm max diameter, weight 0,62 g.
I believe that this is Pfennig from XII-XIII centuries.
Need help in determining the ruler and region.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing three monkey faces! And I'm sober. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

:D I'm seeing a busty woman on the obverse and two guys with tower behind them on the reverse.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having trouble pasting the link but saw an Eberhard II Friesacher pfenning that had the female obverse and 2 headed reverse, but yours is more crude. It's a stretch, but maybe someplace to start if you haven't been through those or the Wiener pfennigs.

I only know enough about this topic to make myself dangerous Do you have access to CNA? Also saw pics of 2 coins with the strange open mouth style identified as CNA I Ca21 and CNA I CB20. Listed as from Bernhard Duchy of Carinthia St Veit Mint.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2020 10:00PM

Thank you, @Oldhoopster
    I did some research. It looks like a coin from Frederick III, the Strict, Landgrave of Thuringia 1353-1381.
    Coburg, Thuringian mint. Pfennig of Regensburg struck.

Examples from coinarchives.com
    coinarchives - 1
    coinarchives - 2

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like Frederick III wasn't too strict when it came to minting standards!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Perhaps he became strict after seeing minted coins.