Home Sports Talk
Options

Who is Denes Sule? For the answer read further...

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why none other than legendary Miami Dolphins/Balt. Colts coach Don Shula. He of Hungarian decent. Became Don Shula after his name was anglicized. This and other great information on Coach Shula are in the new book "Shula" by Mark Ribowsky. I just completed reading this new book. It follows his childhood, playing, and coaching years. There are many mentions of all the old school players from those times. Names we all know and love: Unitas,Namath,Billy Kilmer,Stabler,Lamonica,Hadl. And coaches Landry,Paul Brown, Weeb Ewbank. And of particular interest was owner Carroll Rosenbloom involving a point spread covering for a game, when all that was needed to win was a FG, but had the team opt for a TD to cover the spread. And the back to back SB wins for Miami is covered as well. One being their 17-0 season. Liked the behind the scenes stories. Good book for any football fan.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don Shula shares my late Mother's birthdate and was born/raised about 10 miles away in Grand River. to the point of "his name was anglicized" this is something that has always bugged me about America and Western Culture in general, the need to change a name to fit nicely into our Country and Culture. one thing everyone has is their name, that can't be translated no matter how much we think it can be. we can't change Juan to John just because we want to.

happily, that has changed. all that is necessary is the older generations slipping away.

interesting fact, though. how did you learn about the book??

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Don Shula shares my late Mother's birthdate and was born/raised about 10 miles away in Grand River. to the point of "his name was anglicized" this is something that has always bugged me about America and Western Culture in general, the need to change a name to fit nicely into our Country and Culture. one thing everyone has is their name, that can't be translated no matter how much we think it can be. we can't change Juan to John just because we want to.

happily, that has changed. all that is necessary is the older generations slipping away.

interesting fact, though. how did you learn about the book??

The book was a new release at my local library. They have a section just for new books. The "anglicized" statement was the authors not mine.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".