Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can you recommend a coin dealer in Cairo, Egypt?

I'm going on holiday to Cairo, Egypt, later this year. I'd like to visit a coin shop. Does anyone know of one? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the tips @hvellente. We will likely travel to Upper Egypt (maybe Luxor) and perhaps Alexandria. I just assumed that Cairo would have the best options. I'll definitely try the hotel concierge when we get there.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be aware that in Egypt, any coin older than "the reign of Ismail" (first Khedive of Egypt, who began reigning in 1867) is considered an "antiquity" and property of the State; they cannot be legally bought, sold to tourists or exported. So if "coin dealers" exist, they will only sell you post-1867 coins.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be prepared to walk away is great advise. And you are a guest in that country with no legal recourse. Have a safe trip. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, tempting, but that would be a "no touch" for me. Enjoy the museums and ambience would be my recommendation.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2020 7:07PM

If Egypt is like the rest of the developing world, most of the “good” coins have long since migrated to the US, Europe, and /or Japan. I suspect that to be the case.