Home Sports Talk
Options

It has been 40 years so I can tell the beer story.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 25, 2020 11:20AM in Sports Talk

Friend invited me to the Wings game at the Olympia.

His cousin and her boyfriend had the tickets and they were too good to pass up.

I am four seats over from the guy with the the tickets, that I had never met before that evening. We all jumped up on a Detroit goal and the guy accidentally kicks his full cup of beer over and the whole thing goes into a ladies large open handbag sitting in the seat in front of him. She didn't notice.

We all sort of looked at each other. What would you have done?

Comments

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020 11:26AM

If I knocked over the beer, I'd apologize and offer to pay for the purse.

If I was a spectator, I'd say to the guy that did it, 'you should probably offer to pay for her purse.'

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ran.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Laughed hard

• Options

@hammer1 said:
    If I knocked over the beer, I'd apologize and offer to pay for the purse.

If I was a spectator, I'd say to the guy that did it, 'you should probably offer to pay for her purse.'

Tough to lecture the guy who bought the tickets.

I figured I was too far from the action to do much so i didn't. I did sort of glance over at the handbag a few more times before the game ended.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is so easy, it shouldn't even be a question. You tell the guy to offer to buy a new purse. Who cares that he bought the tickets and that you hadn't met him before?

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have grabbed the purse, drank the beer and put the purse back.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't matter because no woman ever had anything of value in her handbag unless there happened to be an unopened can of beer in there.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    This is so easy, it shouldn't even be a question. You tell the guy to offer to buy a new purse. Who cares that he bought the tickets and that you hadn't met him before?

Correct answer is the lady with the beer guy should have alerted the purse lady to the pint of Stroh's that was now soaking into her belongings. The two woman could have gone to the restroom and rinsed off the contents and the bag and assessed anything that needed replacement, which was probably nothing. My guess is doing that would have minimized the damage. Rather the beer soaked everything for another 90 minutes.

I only accept free tickets from a better caliber of people now.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, yeah, you shouldn't have to tell the woman. But if no one else is, you should tell her.

• Options

Well I would but it was in 1979 and the Olympia is now closed. Hell, The "Joe" is shuttered as well.

Detroit sure runs through hockey venues quickly.