Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Know any dealers who buy raw mixed coins?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 25, 2020 11:16AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Debating whether to do the work and list on eBay or BST.
But that's WORK! :D
I'd rather ship the whole shebang and let someone sort and buy the lot.

Some decent, some polished, some cleaned, all raw.

Don't want to piece out.

Comments

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a rare LOOKING thing. Not worth much. :'(

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren’t low-ball offers if they otherwise will not sell....

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hvellente said:
    Circulated world coins don't sell for much above spot.

I just checked eBay for circulated 1939 Canada dollars. They have sold as low as 20 cents or so over the value of their bullion content (about $10.90). A similar (more or less) ICG graded piece can be had for $17. FWIW...

Selling a lot of this kind of stuff is work and it doesn't pay enough for a dealer to offer more than a small premium over melt for most of the silver and figure the rest by the pound.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pull out the silver. The rest will be bought by the pound. I sold my last lot of this type at the Michigan State Show last spring. I got $15 for about 300 mixed, non-silver foreign (no Canada).

All glory is fleeting.
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much ya want? I’m interested. Will be fun to sort.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Committed out. Will ship tomorrow. Good dealer. Have had prior dealings. :)

• @hvellente said:
    @topstuf

Can I ask what you got for this lot...?

I'd also be interested in what you got for the lot. It was a really interesting mix!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

that was a great lot , anyone would have bought it , were you expecting moon money or what?

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 12:39PM

Make inventory (appraisal form) list by country/ date / demon / ASW plus MV per Krause. Tally it up. Have a total by BV and MV. Shop it around see what they offer. For problem no BV coins put zero on appraisal / tally sheet. Generally my offer wb some pct of MV or BV.

I would assimilate into my collector coin inventory. Items under $5 MV to junk box, others to album (cowans pages) for my case at shows.

It will take work there is no easy ride on this stuff. In past I have offered 40 pct MV if that much. This can be tough stuff sell under current market conditions. People who won’t moon money I refer to friend who does 100 pct raw stuff. A lot of time his offer less than mine then some of them come running back to me ready to sell. Sometimes when he does buy it giving them his expert spiel bringing them down to Earth I will get free coffee and doughnut for the referral. He may flip some to me also as he knows I like certain countries (Vatican, Mexico, Ireland).

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most dealers dress like they had their clothes stolen at the gym so they give them what they have from the lost and found bin.