Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2001 Albert Pujols Bowman Value Increase

Wondering what may have caused the value of this card to triple in value over the last couple years from $30-ish to almost $100. Thanks! Pat

Comments

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@Mintacular said:
    Wondering what may have caused the value of this card to triple in value over the last couple years from $30-ish to almost $100. Thanks! Pat

Pujols was a hitting machine for his first 12 years. Had Barry Bonds not had those big years, he would have had more than 3 MVP’s. He continues to climb higher in many major league record categories and is a first ballot HOFer. I see his cards continuing to climb higher in the future.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2020 6:13AM

I am actually a little surprised that his Bowman rookie took this long to climb in value. I mean, the guy has 656 HR, 3202 Hits, and a career .300 batting avg. Those are ridiculous numbers.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not ridiculous to say that Pujols is the best first baseman of all time (though I still prefer Gehrig). Unfortunately for those looking at him now, this assessment doesn't change had he retired eight years ago, and he's just been bad since 2016.

• Options
    Billyk97Billyk97 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

I am surprised his value isn't more. Pujols was my favorite player growing up. Probably the best player I have ever seen up until Mike Trout.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

How much longer does he play? Does he have some career number goals in mind? And are those reachable?
    kevin

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:
    How much longer does he play? Does he have some career number goals in mind? And are those reachable?
    kevin

He'll make $29 million this season and $30 million next season if he doesn't retire. I don't know the answer to your question, but those are pretty big goals and pretty darn reachable.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2020 7:04PM

I have noticed that his basic 2001 Topps Traded PSA 10 (which could be had for $100 for years) the last couple of years has risen to between $250 and $300.

Also his 2001 Topps Chrome Retrofractor has went from $100 a few years ago to now from $950 to well over $1k.

007-Pujols-Refractors

Shane

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020 9:32AM

All of his rookies have gone up. The 2001 sp authentic psa 10 is up over $2k now. Years ago could be had for $500 or so.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

It's fascinating to look at old threads about whether cards will be valuable in the future. I read one recently where some were saying Pujols cards wouldn't go up because all it would take to ruin his career was a serious injury or personal scandal. One person was talking about a card he paid $650 for in 2010, which is now worth over $7,000. Reminds me of someone saying he was selling his Jeter cards in 2006 -- I believe he sold a 1993 SP Foil PSA 9 for $300.

I'm looking for Pujols and Ichiro cards in the $100-$250 range that would be good investments. For Pujols, I'm looking for low population cards like the 2001 Fleer base card PSA 10 (pop 126; recent sales price: $104) and 2001 Topps Chrome PSA 10 (pop 166; recent sales price: $260). At those prices, cards are an acceptable risk with great potential for reward. Interested to hear other suggestions.