Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1956 Roberto Clemente PSA sub question

Hello,
Recently got back into collecting and was interested in sending a few cards to get graded.
I was wondering what this 1956 might grade for, or to not sub at all.
Bottom border is not straight, and wasn't sure if if was trimmed or dented in with a gumband or something? Card still measures a little over 1/32, so the card was cut slightly larger than standard size? Would this be worth sending in get graded?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Wow, that bottom edge. I’ve never seen a natural cut like that. I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but it looks like a botched attempt at a trim. In addition to the wave, there’s chipping on that edge not present on the rest of the edges.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it in. It also looks like a White back.

Even if it grades "Authentic" it's good to have it in a holder.

Bottom edge does look strange.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

Top and bottom appear trimmed

Both have a wavy appearance and probably done long ago with grade school scissors

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

yea looks trimmed with scissors. you can see on the back bottom where they got halfway through and opened the scissors for cut 2. left the little offset cut.

• Options

Thanks for the feedback!
    I wasn't sure if I should return this card or just go ahead and send in for grade. I got the card around $200. I was confused on this one card since the other 1956 cards I got all measure exact size and the Clemente is larger than them by 1/32 or more.
    Thanks again everyone!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's possible also it's miscut. I have a few '56 cards that were rejected for miscuts which have that bow-out cut appearance. It's quite common for miscut cards to have a flare out of the edge at the midway point...almost as if the sheet slips during the cutting process. Having said this, the right bottom half (when viewing the reverse) looks a bit too 'wavy' to be a factory cut.

As others have said, you could submit it and allow qualifiers so you can get it into a holder with a miscut or authentic designation.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2020 5:40PM

If it's too big it might not fit in a holder. It might come back without being graded.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

any 56 clemente looks good in a holder due to too many fakes out there