Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Tourist coin from Prague - Old Town Square

Found this in some old keepsakes I was cleaning out this weekend. I picked it up many years ago while visiting Prague. A guy dressed in period costume was hammering out these tourist pieces in the middle of the Old Town Square in Prague. I recall sitting there watching in fascination. The summer of 1993 was pre-digital camera days, so the photos of the guy's setup have been lost to time. I do know that I carried this around with me for several weeks. Perhaps this set the seed for my interest in German State talers a decade later......

Anybody have numismatic themed pieces they collected during travels that bring back memories?

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. Let me see if I have something numismatics-related from my travels.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is very very cool, my best souvenir of my European forays is a Dutch medal that I got to strike at the mint in Utrecht. I visited the mint on a very slow day and while going through the museum there the director came out and asked me if I would like to strike a medal! Also left with books on the Dutch ducats.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s cool. I’ve been looking for a nice Prague Groschen.

My current "Box of 20"