Home Stamps Forum

Are these worth anything ?

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming those dark sections are not on the actual envelopes, they are worth more as a complete envelope with stamp and postmark than just as stamps.

The cover ("cover" is stamp collecting terminology for the envelope with stamps, postmark, etc.) with the black border is a mourning envelope (someone had passed away).

If the openings are not too messy and if the envelopes have something interesting (such as the fancy hotel return address, black border, etc.) then they might bring a few dollars as a group on a good day.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't put any of your own markings on the covers. There may be an APS exhibitor out there who could use them for an exhibit. Unfortunately, finding the person who might actually want them may be quite a feat. The value on those covers will not be high as the stamps used are very common on envelopes of the era.

All glory is fleeting.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I learned something new. Its best to leave the stamp on the cover instead of cutting it out. I can see what an interesting piece the cover with stamp is, especially when the addresses used have an interesting story to tell.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Interesting to see this post. I have the same stamp accommodated w/ an official matching GW envelope w/ quite the story postmarked to a very strange area. Idk if anyone is interested to hear more?

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 1:11AM

@RustyShakleford said:
    Interesting to see this post. I have the same stamp accommodated w/ an official matching GW envelope w/ quite the story postmarked to a very strange area. Idk if anyone is interested to hear more?

Post a picture of it and tell the story. You never know what grabs people's interest. It does not hurt to share (well, if it's something personal, then think twice).

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • @DeutscherGeist said:

@RustyShakleford said:
    Interesting to see this post. I have the same stamp accommodated w/ an official matching GW envelope w/ quite the story postmarked to a very strange area. Idk if anyone is interested to hear more?

Post a picture of it and tell the story. You never know what grabs people's interest. It does not hurt to share (well, if it's something personal, then think twice).

Thanks for the good advice and interest I agree. I think the story is worth telling for sure. Some may be interested and some may not. But I believe it's quite an interesting story/mystery to be personally.

• I feel like this is an interesting piece, a great stamp with the envelope to match! Postmarked on the first day that "Hell's Half Acre" was established in the USA and able to receive mail. With a population of 0, and the post office only operational from 1940-1959 this surprises me that this letter was even received! First Day Mailing postmark. What is very interesting as well is that the envelope has not been opened, and encases the original contents inside that are yet to be discovered at the right time or by the right person... Have a good day!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything is worth something......to somebody.