Home Sports Talk
Options

Little known sports trivia

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22, 2020 9:50AM in Sports Talk

In 1960 the Minneapolis Lakers requested permission to move to LA. Because there were no other teams on the west coast, the league granted the move provided the Lakers pay all visiting teams transportation costs.

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

My senior year in college, playing basketball on the school team, my GPA was higher than my scoring average :)

Now that is some serious trivia that likely, prior to me posting this reply, was known to only one person.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

1965-66 I was in a youth bowling league and got a participation trophy. Actually a little wooden pin that noted that our team came in last place.

Last athletic award i ever received. Should have hung on to it.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

The Detroit Tigers drafted a Super Bowl quarterback before the Detroit Lions did (Mahomes went in 37th round of 2014 draft)

• Options
    edited January 25, 2020 8:17AM

I met 3 Piston centers.

Bob Lanier at a Waffle house at 2 am
    Bill Laimbeer and Chuck Nevitt at a Canadian strip club.
    Saw Horace Grant at a Chicago restaurant, though not a Piston.

The tall guys just sort of stand out. particularly Nevitt.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020 9:08AM

@Coinstartled said:
    I met 3 Piston centers.

Bob Lanier at a Waffle house at 2 am
    Bill Laimbeer and Chuck Nevitt at a Canadian strip club.
    Saw Horace Grant at a Chicago restaurant, though not a Piston.

The tall guys just sort of stand out. particularly Nevitt.

I can just imagine Bill Laimbeer at a strip club, illegally elbowing the strippers. "Show me a little more of that leg darling!" Then getting thrown out of the club like he did in so many NBA games.

• Options

Laimbeer was at the table behind us. He was pretty quiet. It was Isaiah that was peeling the bills off of a stack of tens (1986).

Quite an interesting evening. I talked with Nevitt a bit. Nice a fellow as he appears. I felt like a midget at 6'2" though.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not little known, but was a sports question in Trivial Pursuit.

Back in the mid 90s, I was on my second college and third major....Kinesiology. Taking a History of Sport Class. My Professor had been a trainer on the 83 Sixers Championship team. I found the class very interesting. Fast forward about 2 years. I'm playing Trivial Pursuit ( the hard one :D ) with some friends. Getting nothing right if I recall. Until I hear a question that was straight out of that class. I couldn't believe it. It was....what two sports were combined to inspire the original version of American baseball? Or something like that....

Rounders and cricket