Home Sports Talk

Joe Burrow to Cincinnati, what are your thoughts??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I had a chance to watch LSU for five games this season and it gave a pretty good picture of Joe Burrow. Overall, he seems faster than anticipated with the ability to outrun defenses to the sideline. While he doesn't have an overly strong arm he does have that ability to lay the ball out on long routes to exactly where the receiver can run to it, a skill that fascinates me. He also showed an ability to read defenses. Overall, he reminds me of John Elway in his prime.

All that aside, is he good enough to be the overnight sensation that all the talking heads expect next season??

He presents me with questions. He certainly showed the skill level that should have kept him at Ohio State, yet he was 3rd on the depth chart. Why is that?? It isn't because the Buckeyes wanted a QB that could run, during 2018-19 Joe Burrow and Justin Fields had rushing stats that were close, attempts and average. Burrow actually ran almost the same amount of time with LSU in both years despite the dramatic improvement in their passing game. Further, Burrow only improved dramatically in 2019 regarding his passing.

I am of the opinion that while Joe Burrow is certainly a very good athlete, a very good QB, what transformed him was the scheme implemented by Joe Brady. Now both have left. Other NCAA Teams run pro-style offenses but not at the level of LSU this year. The twist is that most Teams don't have the defensive experience to play against what Joe Brady brought to LSU. That makes me wonder how Joe Burrow will be in a system as screwed up as Cincinnati while playing against Teams that are like the NCAA best on steroids.

Certainly the OL will be better than what LSU, but the rushers, schemes and stunts he sees will all be new. I think the biggest difference for him will be the overall speed of NFL defenses, DL's and LB's that can run him down as he rolls from the pocket, DB's with great recovery speed and tricks he doesn't know about. Biggest of all will be the Defensive Coordinators who will make his Sundays a living hell!!

So in a nutshell, while I think Joe Burrow is very, very good with top tier skills, I don't anticipate him overwhelming the NFL. What do you think??

Al H.

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ryan Leaf

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

For me the Cinci scheme, if you can call it that, in my opinion, is not QB friendly. They have a scheme which they run no matter who is the QB. ( Just my observation from watching them over the past few years). Yes they have Joe Mixon and want to run the ball. But their line is not that of the 49ers and they can't consistently do so, putting more and more heat on the QB. Unless something changes drastically, I do believe he will struggle. Just about all rookie QB's going to bad teams have problems adjusting in their first few years to the speed of the game.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

adjusting in their first few years to the speed of the game.

I have a theory about the level of play at High School in any given State, NCAA D1 and the NFL. in High School there might be 100 players who are just head-and-shoulders above the rest, in College maybe 10 and at the NFL that number shrinks to 1-2. it seems that at each level the players become more equal and experience really starts to make a difference.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think his style of play would do well if he went to a better than mediocre team and could understudy for a year or so. With the Bengals I see him starting before he is ready and having severe injuries which will retard his development.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@keets said:
    adjusting in their first few years to the speed of the game.

I have a theory about the level of play at High School in any given State, NCAA D1 and the NFL. in High School there might be 100 players who are just head-and-shoulders above the rest, in College maybe 10 and at the NFL that number shrinks to 1-2. it seems that at each level the players become more equal and experience really starts to make a difference.

Where in college you may be playing against a team with 2,3 or 4 All conference or even pro-ready players, the NFL has second stringers with those qualities and that kind of talent. A very difficult adjustment when you've been playing against lesser talent levels all during your amateur career.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't know how he'll hold up in the NFL. I thought Baker Mayfield would take the league by storm and I was wrong, so I'm just not sure with Burrow. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Burrow has the whole package - mobility, size, arm strength, and so on.

Cincinnati is a mess and that will hurt him. Maybe he can sit for awhile, even a year, to get acclimated. Plus, if they're terrible again next year with him sitting, that gets them another high pick to help out Burrow.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cincy will destroy him don’t you worry

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 5:53PM

My first thought, John and Yoko.

Burrow is one tough guy, but Cincinnati?

@Bullsitter said:
    My first thought, John and Yoko.

Burrow is one tough guy, but Cincinnati?

My sentiments exactly!