Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

A nice pickup in the mail today.

Thought I'd share a pic of my 2007 #103 David Ortiz Moments & Milestones, a ONE of ONE. Unfortunately, the left side nick and a couple of soft corners will drop the grade down to around a 7...time will tell. Other blemishes are from the card saver.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup! For 1/1s, unless they're at least Mint, I'd sub for Auth only. It's not like you're competing with anyone else for the nicest of that one ;)

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Nice pickup! For 1/1s, unless they're at least Mint, I'd sub for Auth only. It's not like you're competing with anyone else for the nicest of that one ;)

Help me appreciate why I'd sub for Auth only? I can't follow why having it say AUTH, vs maybe PSA 7. For sure I don't have a qual issue.
    Tks

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Help me appreciate why I'd sub for Auth only? I can't follow why having it say AUTH, vs maybe PSA 7. For sure I don't have a qual issue.
    Tks

Much like autos, for 1/1s a number grade less than a 9 can be detrimental if you ever try to sell.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Super nice
    no no no not auth only

why???

Its the only one Will be the highest graded

All grades given are authentic period everyone knows that

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Not too concerned about the grade really, I think whatever grade it comes out from PSA will not impact any sale value, it is a 1/1. I don't plan to sell it anytime soon, some lucky relative will either inherit my stuff, or maybe I'll just sell all one day. I seriously doubt that a non-collector would know what to do with selling graded cards or sets, or anything related to baseball cards. My mom, God bless her soul, tossed all my cards when I was a kid...some 52 Mantles went in the trash, unbeknowns to me. >:)

I see other x/x raw cards at insane prices, some like 512/1900 atnd they're at the $99.99 nonsense. Of course very few sell at that level...not a ton of folks collecting my set. Now that I jumped into the water, I am AMAZED at the variations Topps has created of the very same pic...chrome, chrome refractor, chrome xfractor, chrome pink refractor, chrome pink xfractor, it goes on and on and on.

Time will tell, thanks guys.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I know you’re fairly new to collecting an ultra modern player set, I’m just making sure you know that 1/1’s are not eligible for the PSA master set.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Not collecting the Master Set, tks.

• Options

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=printing+plate+psa&_sacat=0

I just did this search for 'printing plate psa' since those are all 1/1s and avoids the clutter of 'ebay 1/1' type listing for cards that aren't really 1/1s. Only about 1 out of every 10-11 have a number grade at all, excluding Auto Grades, the rest are just Auth (with one Auth Altered). Breakdown of grades:

Four 10s
    Four 9s
    Two 8s (another 8 that's a mech error on a non-printing plate 1/1)
    1 each 6,4,2

As Dan stated, they're not eligible for registry sets, so grade doesn't matter from that perspective, and the market prefers Auth or you'd see a lot more number grades on them. If the time ever comes to sell, it will sell much faster as an Auth than a PSA 7. Stupid, perhaps, but that's where the market is.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Not collecting the Master Set, tks.

Master Topps then. Just making sure you knew about the 1/1 registry thing.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=printing+plate+psa&_sacat=0

I just did this search for 'printing plate psa' since those are all 1/1s and avoids the clutter of 'ebay 1/1' type listing for cards that aren't really 1/1s. Only about 1 out of every 10-11 have a number grade at all, excluding Auto Grades, the rest are just Auth (with one Auth Altered). Breakdown of grades:

Four 10s
    Four 9s
    Two 8s (another 8 that's a mech error on a non-printing plate 1/1)
    1 each 6,4,2

As Dan stated, they're not eligible for registry sets, so grade doesn't matter from that perspective, and the market prefers Auth or you'd see a lot more number grades on them. If the time ever comes to sell, it will sell much faster as an Auth than a PSA 7. Stupid, perhaps, but that's where the market is.

Interesting points. So, it appears that (assuming a PSA grade between 1-10), it's a no go in the set, BUT, having it graded as AUTH, allows the card into the Registry...and retains some semblance of value, if/when I would decide to sell. Is that about the bottom line?

Tks for all the pointers, never crossed my mind, but I do see the rational ...how could anyone possibly complete a Registry set if somebody had a 1/1 registered.

• Options

No even graded Auth a 1/1 isn’t allowed into the registry. Sorry man. Still a sweet card.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    No even graded Auth a 1/1 isn’t allowed into the registry. Sorry man. Still a sweet card.

Ok, thanks...had no clue, but then again, I realize the rationale...nobody else could get to 100%. For $30 still a good buy.

• Options

They can technically be added to a Master registry, but only as Optional:

All cards, with the exception of unique or very limited edition cards (1-3 print runs), are accepted in the Master player sets. If a player is featured on a team set card, it will be allowed. Cards which may picture a player but make no mention of said player on the card are not allowed. Items that do not picture the corresponding player will not be allowed. In addition, some handcut/panel/perforated issues may only be used in one slot and may not be required in multiple slots. If you are uncertain that your card qualifies, please email setregistry@collectors.com for confirmation. Please note that 1/1 (one of a kind items), as well as items that PSA does not grade numerically (authentic only), will be added as optional if requested.

Ref: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/setrequests

• Options

Interesting stuff, tks for the post.

So, if I understand this correctly... if I decide to have my 1/1 graded, I have to request it be AUTH only, then request it be added to the composition as an optional card.

• Options

That is what I would do, or just leave it raw.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Interesting stuff, tks for the post.

So, if I understand this correctly... if I decide to have my 1/1 graded, I have to request it be AUTH only, then request it be added to the composition as an optional card.

I would send it in for regular grading and ask that it be added as optional.

I would MUCH rather have the card with a number grade, that card could get a 7-8 and that's better than an authentic imo.

If you were ever to sell the card, a buyer might not like the authentic grade and might think it was not "deserving" of a numeric grade.

I have several cards in my Killebrew master set that are optional. Mostly proof cards. They don't count towards the set rating, but they're FUN!

Sweet card you have there!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set