Home Sports Talk
Options

What's the deal on climate change?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoax, or is it something we should be working on?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

My heating bill says global warming is a hoax.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Main cause of climate change is solar power. A stiff tax on solar panels would fix things in a hurry.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t worry about things you don’t have any control over. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 1:32PM

Climate is constantly changing, the only real questions are: how much impact humans have on it and, costs vs. benefit of reducing/eliminating human impact. There hasn't been a single predictive model anywhere close to being accurate, even over timeframes as short as a decade. It's a lot of fearmongering mixed with some very profitable government funded pseudoscience at this point with far more complex variables than we can begin to understand.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

When everyone owns a Tesla...we will be saved.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless they get one with "unintended acceleration".

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Due to the fact that climate change deniers have thwarted efforts to save the environment all life on earth ended 14 years ago. Shame. Shame. Shame.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO FARTING!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

The climate is changing, so it's not a "hoax" in a literal sense, but it's changing for the same reasons, and at the same glacially slow pace, that it's been changing since the last ice age. It is a hoax in that the people pushing it - the one's in government, not their dim-witted puppets like Greta Thunberg - know that humans aren't having any measurable effect, and that even eliminating humans entirely wouldn't change the pace of warming.

Timothy Wirth, once a Senator and at the time representing the US at the Rio Climate Summit as undersecretary of state for global issues said: “We have got to ride the global warming issue. Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing in terms of economic policy and environmental policy.” Which sums up what every climate change alarmist would tell you if you could force them to take an honesty pill - they know there's no science behind climate change alarmism, they just like what happens (mostly redistribution of wealth) if everyone thinks there is. I don't know if there are still people who believe that 97%™ of scientists agree that mankind is warming the planet dangerously and burning fossil fuels is the primary culprit, but those who do deserve our pity. They do not, though, deserve to be taken seriously.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally agree with the posters here...…….it's a bunch of Hog Wash!!!

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 8:29PM

Climate is always changing and evolving.
    Like since the beginning of time. But we have teen age humans today dictating policy. There isn’t a big enough font showing L O L to fit this absurdity.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

The climate changes constantly, its called Mother Nature. While I suppose its possible to make a tiny impact, there is no way countries like India and China, along with other "polluters" will do much to allow for a world-wide effort.
    If there weren't climate change, we'd still be under a mile or more of ice...called "The Ice Age". I think it ebbs and flows over millennia, not much IMO can or will be done to impact our nano-second of existence.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

95% of the ice from the last ice age melted before the industrial revolution. Stands to reason that the glaciers are just continuing the trend. Northern Ireland still has minor earthquakes from where it is still recovering fro being pushed down from the weight of the ice sheet that was on it 20000 years ago

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    NO FARTING!

Pinto beans are going to be the cause of the end of the world!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serendipity perhaps, but I seem to always land on the forums with all the experts on the subject.

:*

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask Greta. She will explain everything one needs to know about climate change.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Serendipity perhaps, but I seem to always land on the forums with all the experts on the subject.

:*

Little known fact. Snowmobiles were all the rage during the last ice age for obvious reasons.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Joe B is right. Termites and cow flatulence are major methane emissions. My son is a close 3rd.
    Mother nature is local. The weatherman doesn't get even that right all the time.
    The earth has had natural temperature fluctuations in its history. Our planet has been completely frozen over twice.
    Realize that a temperature difference of only 4 degrees causes an ice age. We have had a lot of them.
    It is a proven fact the earths** average** temp has increased 2 degrees over the last century and it rate of increase has doubled in the last 20 years. At any given time there Is a 100 degreed temp difference in areas of our world.

70% of the earth's surface is water. This is a massive heat sink. The amount of heat required to raise its temp even a tiny amount is staggering. Put a tea kettle on the stove and see what I mean. Most large scale weather patters are ocean current driven. These currents travel the world around the continents and it is a two years cycle start to finish.
    Just changing one aspect of this process doesn't just stop change but takes years/decades to equilibrate.

The chemistry tells us what we are doing and how it affects he world. This isn't a 1+1=2 answer.
    The real worry of many isn't just today but at some point if we do not stop current actions the climate can become irreversible for at least a little while.

Climate warming is just a term. It means that some areas will have excess flooding while others will enter into more droughts. More hurricanes.....

There answer is certainly not simple. Do we as a country change and take the financial burden while other countries like India and China do not. So far attempts to globalize this has been futile.

I saw my son throw recyclables into the trash. I told him to do your best to recycle......it's your world in the future...I'll be dead.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

If we want to save the world, then we must outlaw beans!!!!

• Options

@jay0791 said:
    Joe B is right. Termites and cow flatulence are major methane emissions. My son is a close 3rd.

I'll put my wife's dog up against your son any day if you are referring to flatulence. The dog doesn't recycle either.

My dog, however is a recycler, but I don't want to talk about it. Disgusting animal.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2020 4:16PM

Planet Earth's number one enemy!!!!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

So we are over twenty posts into this subject and the must enlightening post is about a dog that recycles....

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Thank you.