Home Sports Talk
Options

How far does a designated hitter cover in a season?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is 4 am and I am bored.

Figure a max regular season of 162 games. I am already in trouble because of the interleague games with the national league, but I will press of anyway.

So 162 games, figure Joe Gizmo has to walk from the dugout to the on deck circle 5 times per game (some of the trips will only be to the on deck circle and not to the plate. So figure 200 feet times 5 trips to get on to the field and then back to the dugout. 1000 feet total.

Figure that he will have 4 actual at bats per game and on most of those occasions he will have to run to or walk to first base. So i'll add 400 feet per game for his treks along the base paths. I figure that the strikeouts or other instances when he never gets beyond the plate are cancelled out by the runs beyond first base. If he has a high slugging percentage and does not strike out all that much he would have to travel further, so I better add another 100 of base running per game.

So that is 1000 fpg to get to the plate and back in the dugout* and 500 feet on the base paths.

So 1500 feet per game times 162 games is 243,000 feet per season or just about 46 miles. I guess he is earning his ten million bucks.

*this number includes the return to the dugout from the base running as well.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 6:18AM

For $10 million bucks a year, I'd crawl backwards, with both hands tied behind my back, blindfolded, DOUBLE that distance. ;)

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

I'd do it for half!!!!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the Twins last year possibly the difference from 2nd to 1st place.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

CS......you have out done yourself....TOTALLY!!!!!