Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Neat Staubach Card - And Other Stuff from Craigslist Purchase

So I met a guy on Saturday to pick up some baseball sets he had purchased back in the 80's, so he had one for each year from 1983 thru 1988, plus he had some other odds and end cards...$100 for the lot...I could tell from my email exchanges with him that he hadn't done anything with the cards since he bought them so I figured condition should be pretty good, and figured I could recoup $100 no problem by finding a few nice gradable cards from the '83 thru '85 sets. He had a couple other boxes he was throwing in that had odds and ends cards, like the Staubach Sugar Daddy and a Kareem Sugar Daddy, plus some metal coins from the 60's, a few boxes of unopened baseball from 1990, etc...I got the 10 or so boxes into my car and then he pulled out a separate box that he said wasn't part of the $100 purchase...I started thumbing thru the top loadered cards, seeing 1985 Topps Pucketts, Clemens, McGwires, Payton rookie (albeit it looks trimmed), very nice '84 Mattingly Donruss (looks like my other PSA 9), couple of authographed Winfield cards (75 and 76), and autographed McGwire 85 Topps, about 10 auto Terry Steinbach rookies, and so on...about 100 stars and rookies...figuring he was going to want $400 or so...he said his wife told him to get rid of his stuff...sounds like he didn't even collect anymore...just bought the stuff back in the 80's...and old boss of his knew someone who knew Steinbach, hence all of his auto cards, and since Big Mac played with Steinny on the A's, he must have gotten his auto at some point too...oh yeah, an auto '85 Donruss of Orel in the bunch too...he finally says $50 and I can have it all....I usually keep the contact info for good deals like this and if I come out a good deal ahead, I like to look them back up and surprise them with a little more money since I came out a good deal ahead...in any case, some of the top cards won't be going to PSA as not in great shape, but this Staubach Sugar Daddy, the 84 Donruss Mattingly, and the Big Mac auto rookie for sure will make a trip west to California.

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, love that Staubach!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Wow, love that Staubach!

Thanks...it's pretty sharp...that is a bugger of a set, and I don't remember the last time I have seen one...I remember getting some as a kid...this looks like a PSA 8 with an outside shot at a 9...the top-bottom centering surely falls within the PSA 9 specs...

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to have to start using Craigslist.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'm going to have to start using Craigslist.

I would -- I have probably made 40 purchases over the last year on Craigslist, if not more, and should come out ahead on almost all I suspect, (even tho I do it for the love of collecting primarily)...people just want to get rid of their stuff, and do so at very low prices...they want the cash and space in their home...I bought 10 Jeter rookies (5 Topps, 5 Upper Deck) for $80 last Fall...4 of the Topps and 3 of the Upper Decks are at PSA now...I'd be surprised if a few of those 7 aren't in a PSA 10 holder come April/May....lots of good deals out there...just have to check every day...and of course you have to have lots of free time to go thru boxes of cards if you like to pick up entire collections on the cheap...I have lots of time at night and really enjoy going thru collections looking for the gradable candidates...

• Options

will add a few images of some of the cards I got in the $50 Craigslist box...here are the first 2 cards...Mattingly looks like a solid 9

• Options

a few more cards I got in the $50 box...Gooden box panel card in awesome shape...hoping for a PSA 9 on the Topps Mattingly whenever it heads west to CA...