Home Q & A Forum
Options

1964 Jefferson Nickel

SunshinepennySunshinepenny Posts: 7
edited January 20, 2020 2:29PM in Q & A Forum

Hi! I've been collecting coins for 22 years. I just kept them and not really understood until recently the potential rarities and value they may hold. This is my FIRST ever post and need some suggestions, ideas or thought as to my 2 of my favorite set

s I have. The 2 1964 Jefferson Nickel I have are minted very deeply and pose a very strong strike and strong raised rim. Let me know thoughts?

Comments

• Options

By the way the lighting isnt great on the buckle on the left. I'm sure I could share a better picture should anyone need and THANK YOU in advance for the insight!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Sunshinepenny .
    1964 nickels were minted in enourmous quantities to alleviate the silver coins leaving circulation.
    I am glad you have picked a coin to like and collect.
    Jefferson nickels are a great choice and it is theoretically possible to complete a set from roll searching, although in fifty years of looking I have yet to find a 1939-D or 1950-D.
    Good luck in your search.

P.S. If you have a minute, look up the mintage figures for the 1964 nickels.
    If I recall, the "P" was over a billion and the D was near 2 billion.
    When I was a kid delivering newspapers, it was unusual to receive a nickel that wasn't a 1964.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @Sunshinepenny.

I’m glad you enjoy collecting.

The below links have quite a bit of good information on Jefferson Nickels.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/jefferson-nickel-1938-date/84

And if you do a search in this forum you’ll find a lot of information about Jeffs.

Have fun in the hobby!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins had higher relief back then.

Also, sometimes coins get caught in machines (dryer. etc.) that result in the edge getting bashed to the point where the rim is heightened.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good choice.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 1:55PM

Almost 3 billion five cent pieces were minted in 1964.

They xxx

• Options

@mannie gray said:
    Hi @Sunshinepenny .
    1964 nickels were minted in enourmous quantities to alleviate the silver coins leaving circulation.
    I am glad you have picked a coin to like and collect.
    Jefferson nickels are a great choice and it is theoretically possible to complete a set from roll searching, although in fifty years of looking I have yet to find a 1939-D or 1950-D.
    Good luck in your search.

P.S. If you have a minute, look up the mintage figures for the 1964 nickels.
    If I recall, the "P" was over a billion and the D was near 2 billion.
    When I was a kid delivering newspapers, it was unusual to receive a nickel that wasn't a 1964.

I have both those years you have referenced. Thank you for the insight!💖