Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Kellogg’s 3D Superstars Cracking

Any other collectors seeing this?

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

They definitely do crack. I hadn’t yet seen a PSA slabbed copy crack years after slabbing, but always been worried about it.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    They definitely do crack. I hadn’t yet seen a PSA slabbed copy crack years after slabbing, but always been worried about it.

Thanks, I have had some cards, not in slabs, curl and crack. First I have seen when slabbed. Have owned these for quite some time and just noticed. Hoping it doesn’t happen to others.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious what environment they've been stored in. I could see temperature extremes possibly causing this even after they're slabbed. I always thought the curling and cracking of raw was due to humidity, but wouldn't expect that to be the case with these.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

The subject of temperatures and cards has always scared me. I make sure to keep Joe's room at a comfortable 71 degrees.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    I'm curious what environment they've been stored in. I could see temperature extremes possibly causing this even after they're slabbed. I always thought the curling and cracking of raw was due to humidity, but wouldn't expect that to be the case with these.

I keep them in slab cardboard boxes inside sealed plastic bins in the basement. Can get about 50 degrees there in winter. Thought keeping in a sealed plastic bin would be safe. Gotta wonder now

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Kellogg’s do crack in PSA holders if the conditions are right. Learned this years ago so I
    no longer buy them. I was more worried about them cracking during shipping in the mail.
    James

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

I keep them in slab cardboard boxes inside sealed plastic bins in the basement. Can get about 50 degrees there in winter. Thought keeping in a sealed plastic bin would be safe. Gotta wonder now

Interesting. Basement is surprising since I would guess temperature is fairly constant w/no rapid night/day temp swings, attic or garage could be far worse.

• Options

@bighurt2000 said:
    Kellogg’s do crack in PSA holders if the conditions are right. Learned this years ago so I
    no longer buy them. I was more worried about them cracking during shipping in the mail.
    James

Don’t know if it will help, but moving them to a closet upstairs

• Options

Yes, and during the winter, the temps can get down below freezing, so if I'm expecting a card in the mail, I make sure not to let it sit in the mailbox past dark, because frost will start to build up on the top loader or slab. If my wife or me aren't at home, I usually get Thomas, my middle school neighbor to retrieve it for me, and pay him with a couple of Snicker bars. I don't like the frost to build up anywhere near a card, it just bothers me.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Yes, and during the winter, the temps can get down below freezing, so if I'm expecting a card in the mail, I make sure not to let it sit in the mailbox past dark, because frost will start to build up on the top loader or slab. If my wife or me aren't at home, I usually get Thomas, my middle school neighbor to retrieve it for me, and pay him with a couple of Snicker bars. I don't like the frost to build up anywhere near a card, it just bothers me.

Yeah, sorry, no one here believes this. We don't believe you'd let your wife get the mil if you have a card coming.

• Options

@daltex said:

@doubledragon said:

Yeah, sorry, no one here believes this. We don't believe you'd let your wife get the mil if you have a card coming.

Believe me, I try as hard as I can to keep her away from the mailbox, but sometimes she beats me to it. Women can be very sneaky. I have to stay one step ahead ;)

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

It's very important to store Kelloggs, slabbed or not, in a warm room to keep them flexible and expanded. Once they get in the cold and the plastic contracts, that is when they crack. We all know what happens when you leave a plastic soda bottle in the car during the winter, right?

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

That sucks! They are still technically 10s though, right? The label says so.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

With all the cards you get, I'm concerned with Thomas' weight issues. lol.

• Options

@mrmopar said:
    That sucks! They are still technically 10s though, right? The label says so.

I know, probably not going to be many interested buyers in the future. Thought the plastic was air tight and not affected by temperature. Moved them to the first floor. Lucky only impacted 2

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about in the pack? Less chance?

• Options

Never seen them in a pack, that’s Eckersley’s rookie isn’t it?

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is his rook

• Options

@dan89 said:
    How about in the pack? Less chance?

If it's a temperature thing, as it sounds like it is, I doubt the pack is protecting it from cracking, just no one would know until if/when it's opened.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a dehumidifier for my card room for this reason