Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry people, how do you collect?

Assuming you have a budget...............

Do you buy "common" coins every week or two, Or
do you buy a coin every month, or every 6 months.
Probably meaning do you buy semi-keys first? or do you fill out a set with commons ?

Thanks for your input.

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    I do Type instead of series, so I have about 3 or 4 Types that I want to find for one reason or another (obscure, cool, cheap, etc..). Beyond those that I always have my eye on, I just keep an open mind as to what I still need for my set that might fit my current budget.
    Keith ™

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I buy rolls of the more common coins in the series I am after (early lincolns) and then go to raw for the ones I can't get rolls in and then to slabs I can't find raws in. Its the fun of making a coin for me. To date I have only purchased 3 slabs for my #32 Lincoln registry collection and 2 of these were coins I already had but one grade lower and just gave up. I will add a 4th with the 1954 since I have given up on making a 66RD. Some dates, actually most are a bargain when you consider the time and money on rolls you need to make a coin, but thats most the fun.
  • Options
    I bought a ton of common Lincolns from David Green. After that got me semi-started, I just bought whatever my dealer has in stock that fits in my registries.

My Buffalo set has sat untouched for several months because my local dealer never got in anything that would fit in it, until a few weeks ago when he got a very nice 17D, which I'm working on paying off right now. image
  • Options
    For my type set I did buy the common types first, as rapidly as they were available. I started at now and worked my way back in time. I need focus so need a plan. After the easy ones I tried for some subsets first, common gold types, then all nickel types.

Two things happened. First I am running out of budget, second I'm getting picky and moving back into types where there aren't so many coins to choose from in the first place. So I haven't bought anything in a long time...