Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Egypt (ثورة يناير)very Rare Set Proof & Matte 1&5 Pounds UNC

I copied the title of the Internet listing for this set of coins.

The so-called proofs were "enhanced" to look like proofs and passed certification. The 1st time they were listed for sale the certs were deactivated and the listing was removed, but the owner appears to be persistent and recently relisted them as a set.

Images are from the listing with the cert images from the on-line certs. These have been reported but will certainly resurface again...

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to clarify they are uncs made to look like proofs?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

How were these enhanced? Their surfaces look fine.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Just to clarify they are uncs made to look like proofs?

Yes, genuine MS coins; I am told this issue was not struck in proof.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    How were these enhanced? Their surfaces look fine.

My Egyptian expert stated “there’s a trend in Egypt now where collectors alter the surfaces of MS coins to make it appear like proof, sad but true”. He said from his experience “these refrosting techniques make the details of the coin go somewhat mushy”.

Several of a different issue recently (per my Egyptian expert) “were artificially frosted and submitted for certification to at least 2 of the top TPG’s; certs have been deactivated for these as well.

This is the image of the coins from the 1st Internet listing; coins have been listed 3 times now for sale.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2020 9:10AM

I'm cautious about expert opinion - any expert. I need to see things for myself. Artificial frosting is decades old. So are surface alterations to make a coin's fields "mirror-like." While new technology for surface preparation has evolved to a much higher state, at this time A/S is detectable under high magnification, The key is to know what a coin's surface looks like at 40X and above.

I guess some will reply that "If you cannot detect the altered surface - it is not altered!" Based on the images I prefer to believe the coins are I struck counterfeits if they are determined to be fake.

PS IMO, artificially frosted devices are harder to detect that polished (any way including lasers) fields.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    I'm cautious about expert opinion - any expert. I need to see things for myself. Artificial frosting is decades old. So are surface alterations to make a coin's fields "mirror-like." While new technology for surface preparation has evolved to a much higher state, at this time A/S is detectable under high magnification, The key is to know what a coin's surface looks like at 40X and above.

I guess some will reply that "If you cannot detect the altered surface - it is not altered!" Based on the images I prefer to believe the coins are I struck counterfeits if they are determined to be fake.

PS IMO, artificially frosted devices are harder to detect that polished (any way including lasers) fields.

Would certainly be better to see in hand and under a microscope; I am passing along the thoughts of an individual I respect on these issues and that there were no proofs struck; the TPG agreed and removed the certs. And these most certainly will come up for sale again.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Are they serious? They have minted a proof set to commemorate the Arab Spring, where in Egypt in particular it was crushed?

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3