Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NYINC show report

NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 19, 2020 12:09PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Headed home now after a nice show.

I have been coming to NYINC for about 7 years now. This was my longest trip. Usually go for 2 days. This year I stayed in Manhattan Wednesday to Sunday. Longest time I’ve ever been at a show. Have some coin fatigue at the end of the show but was a great experience and the longer stay was definitely good for my growth as a numismatist.

Wednesday was the Triton auction. Went to the auction with @EVillageProwler. I’ll let him tell his auction story but the short of it is that we both failed to get our lots of greatest interest. Prices were strong in the British material, which is my area of collecting. I was interested in a portrait penny of Edward the Elder but my bid was defeated. Oh well. Show hasn’t even began yet, so will have other opportunities to blow my budget. Went to dinner with @EVillageProwler at a British pub, fitting for British coin enthusiasts.

Thursday was professional preview and early bird day. In the past I have resisted the $125 entry fee for the early bird day. This year, I buckled in and paid it. In the end, I think it was worth it. The bourse was much quieter than the public days, and I was able to have first access to new material. As it would be, that mattered, as I ended up purchasing two coins from CNG that were not yet listed on the web-

Edward IV of England groat, first reign (1461-1470), London mint

John de Balliol of Scotland penny (1292-1296), uncertain mint (probably Berwick)

Both of these were on my list as monarchs of the British Isles for the impossible set of all British kings. I call it impossible since I am starting in Anglo-Saxon times and going to the present, with some early petty kings’ coins being so rare as to have no known examples outside of museums. But one never knows what still may be dug out of the ground.

I went to the New York Sale to watch, but did not place any bids. The British coins were rare types of high quality and prices were seemingly strong. Outside of the sale I mentioned my auction woes of the night before to a dealer and he told me he had an Edward the Elder penny I might want to consider. Made a mental note.

Went to dinner at Grand Central’s oyster bar with @EVillageProwler, @Stork, @Zohar, and @TwoKopeiki. It was chilly, so nice to not have to walk outside.

Friday was the first public day. Bourse was of course much busier. Looked like a good crowd. Dealers seemed to be making decent sales, checkbooks were out, and collectors were everywhere. Ran into @fsrcoin on the bourse but unfortunately missed @harasha. I did some lot viewing at Stacks. I advise everyone to take advantage of lot viewing, even if you don’t have a great eye (I don’t have a great eye), it really is illuminating. Was able to narrow down my interest from 7 lots to 2. I went back to the dealer from yesterday, Wolfshead Gallery from NJ. He showed me two coins of Edward the Elder, both with portrait. The first was sadly beyond my budget, but the second was not. It has some central weakness but otherwise seemed a nice coin, and I decided to add it to the collection.

Edward the Elder penny (899-924), Beahred moneyer, probably London mint

Went to dinner at one of the upscale food courts near Grand Central with @EVillageProwler, @Zohar, @Stork, and @superpsychmd.

After dinner, went to the Stacks sale. Cheered on a friend who had some lots in the sale on consignment. I think he did ok. I had picked out two lots of interest. One went beyond my budget but I was successful on the other!

William II penny (1087-1100), moneyer Eadwig, mint London.

For those that don’t know English coins, there are several post-conquest coins that are just tough, and they follow a numbering scheme (in ascending order of difficulty):

1- Henry I
2- William II
3- Richard III
4- Henry IV
5- Edward V
8- Edward VIII

Of those, Henry I is easiest. His coins are only scarce. The rest are tough. Edward VIII is only known from a few patterns, one of which sold in the New York Sale for $300000!

Saturday I was a little coin fatigued. My budget was mostly consumed and I had seen most of everything I wanted to. I picked up my lot from Stacks, and gave some consideration for a Norman penny, but in the end I passed. Met up with a friend who is not a member here but has similar interest in British coins. Went to the BNS talk on the collection of British coins at the ANS. My wife also joined me in the city, she planned to spend the day in the city going to a museum, but since the weather was lousy she ended up staying with me. She doesn’t collect but she understands the importance of the hobby to me, and I consider myself pretty fortunate for that. Went to dinner with @EVillageProwler, @Zohar, @EastonCollection, and others at a Turkish restaurant.

Sunday morning I went to the Spink auction but came up empty. As is commonly seen, the marginal material went cheap and the better stuff went strong. I made one last round on the bourse to say goodbye to a few people and then I was off.

Five days is a lot for me at a show. I am happy but do have some coin fatigue. Miss the kids and feel bad for the wife for having to deal with the house alone for all this time. I think next year probably will stick to 3-4 days.

I am grateful for the friends I’ve made in the hobby. Coin people really are among the most interesting people I meet- friendly, intelligent, worldly, and nerdy (in a good way).

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific report...sorry I missed you.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super report. Thanks.

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2020 4:45PM

Thank you for the tip of the hat! I was not feeling too well on Friday, so I did not go to the show. Felt a bit better on Saturday, but the rotten weather and all sorts of disruptions on the LIRR dissuaded me from going.
    I was there today, but did not see you. Greeted Andy and finally got a chance to say hello to Josh. See my report!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap is the best - great time spent and I hope to see you at the show again!

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I had known you all we’re going to dinner Friday night .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great seeing you as well. Fun day and a lot of action throughout the day.
    the show on Saturday was swamped with collectors and dealers. US coin shows aren't like this.

Easton Collection