Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mike Trout takes HGH for thyroid condition

I just read this story yesterday in the New York Post. Let me say first that I am a fan of Mike Trout so this was shocking to read. The article stated that the MLB dismissed the unsupported claim that was made by David Brosius. David was quoted as saying "It's a loophole he found and the MLB doesn't make it public because they don't want fans knowing their best player is on HGH. But people know..." I am not a doctor so I don't know if HGH is a standard treatment for someone with a thyroid condition or if Mike even has a thyroid condition. But with all the cheating news out lately it is sad that I am suspicious. if this claim is true it would be very disappointing. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Anything is possible but this just seems unlikely. Especially since he knows what's at stake and was even quoted in the following article below saying: "To me, personally, I think you should be out of the game if you get caught,"

Again, anything is possible of course but I would need a 'smoking gun' for me to believe this guys is taking PED's.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/bondy-trout-clams-gutting-mlb-drug-cheats-article-1.1425191

• Options
    CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

Just another reason not to buy modern. Between all the cheating,drugs,disrespect for the flag,domestic violence,child abuse,cocaine fueled boat rides at 3am in Miami,murder,joy rides in the offseason in Latin America,drug overdoses and the list goes on and on. Seems like fools gold to me.
    On the other end of the spectrum,no one has ever been kicked out of the HOF. Just ask OJ ;)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Brosius has recanted that statement.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also have to see a smoking gun to believe it, but you never know.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please educate yourselves.

Players who require prescription medication can still use it with a "Therapeutic Use Exemption" granted by the MLB.

Use described as above (true or not in Trout's case) would not be the same as illegal use and would not give the user the same results.

As far as collecting modern vs vintage, collect what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy collecting, find another hobby. Bird-watching is nice!

In a related story, Bluejays are MEAN! Boo-Hoo.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

I was think Scott Brosius lol

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:

@grote15 said:

I was think Scott Brosius lol

It’s his son.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I don't own any of his cards, I honestly couldn't care less one way or another. These allegations have been floating around regarding Trout for at least the past 6 years though and I haven't seen any evidence yet. You'd think a copy of any Therapeutic Use Exemption would have leaked by now, if true.

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    The title chosen for this thread is just flat-out irresponsible.

The posters intention seems irresponsible, but in fact he's NOT saying Trout is doing anything wrong, he's saying he's taking a medication for a medical condition. That would neither be cheating nor would it affect his performance.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris Davis once had a therapeutic use exemption. He was once a player that could hit 50+ homeruns. He no longer has a therapeutic use exemption. He no longer is a good baseball player, at all. I guess we'll never know if the 2 things are correlated...

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

Irresponsible? The title gets to the point. Whether it's true or not I don't know but basically that is what the topic of this thread is about. I was looking for member's opinions.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

Yep.

• Options

@pab1969 said:

@DM23HOF said:

Irresponsible? The title gets to the point. Whether it's true or not I don't know but basically that is what the topic of this thread is about. I was looking for member's opinions.

Fair enough.

As long as MLB is aware of, and approves. No problem.

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I think this office under Manfred is taking a refreshingly positive position on being transparent. Based on recent Astros stuff, I think they would have gotten ahead of this matter above already, if true.