Home Q & A Forum

Luster bombs with sulphur spots.

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 19, 2020 8:48AM in Q & A Forum

Are these just considered damaged goods once they have carbon spots? Or is grading still a viable option?
I thought the second set of pics might give a better idea of color and eye appeal.

Best Answer

Answers

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that they could be graded but would be downgraded below any gem grade so would not justify the expense of grading.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical .
    Interesting article - Thanks!
    And it said: In numismatics at least our sulfur problem is on the surface of the metal, where it can be treated.

Hmmm, how to remove sulfur spots? Anybody ever tried wd-40?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

WD-40 would be interesting but I think any viscous fluid would impair the luster. I prefer to stay away from any cleaning unless it’s acetone.

edited January 18, 2020 8:34PM

@Hemispherical said:
    WD-40 would be interesting but I think any viscous fluid would impair the luster. I prefer to stay away from any cleaning unless it’s acetone.

Well... I will be very afraid to dip any coin in acetone ever again after this experiment.
    This '79 was just as glistening as the others shown above, in fact found in the same hunt. The '79 has an extraordinary deep strike and then I thought it would be a good idea to clean it up. It cleaned it up alright and dulled the crap out of it.
    Now, was it my mistake leaving it to soak for 30 minutes while I cooked dinner and kinda forgot about it, I don't know. Is there a time limit, lol. She was a beaut even with the minor strikes at 10:00.
    Not to mention the yellow gold color, ughhh...

Ouch!

Quick dip with a rinse is the usual. Sometimes a second dip (new) and rinse again if acetone gets dirty/contaminated after the first.

But, probably wouldn’t dip those unless it really needed it.

Well, that would explain it. Don't remember what I ate that night but, I can tell you it was expensive :o

@Hemispherical said:
    Ouch!

Quick dip with a rinse is the usual. Sometimes a second dip (new) and rinse again if acetone gets dirty/contaminated after the first.

I'll try a quick dip on those then. Not gonna matter much since they have sulphur spots anyway...
    Then I may try goo gone, wd-40, and several other house hold chemicals until the spots go away. If none of that works I'll give the power sander a try :D

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Ouch!

I'll try a quick dip on those then. Not gonna matter much since they have sulphur spots anyway...
    Then I may try goo gone, wd-40, and several other house hold chemicals until the spots go away. If none of that works I'll give the power sander a try :D

Before and after pics...

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think your acetone may have had impurities in it and caused the coin to cloud up. It should have no affect on metal and that haze should come right off with fresh, pure acetone. What are you using to lower and retrieve the coin from the acetone bath?

Collector, occasional seller

@ChrisH821 said:
    I think your acetone may have had impurities in it and caused the coin to cloud up. It should have no affect on metal and that haze should come right off with fresh, pure acetone. What are you using to lower and retrieve the coin from the acetone bath?

I must be doing it all wrong. It was nail polish remover so, what percentage is actually acetone? Maybe 90% and 10% other? I don't know. Also, I flushed the acetone out of the container with running water and then reached in grabbed the coin by the edges. Do you think at this point I could save this coins appearance?
    Thanks Bud.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah nail polish remover has other additives and dyes. Get some acetone from the hardware store and give it a try, it certainly won't make it worse..

Collector, occasional seller

Pure acetone. If it has a floral scent not good.

Best is certified ACS grade acetone for science and pharmaceutical uses. Amazon has suppliers.

Next is acetone from hardware stores. Pick one with mil discount.

Last resort, nail polish that says it’s 100%, but... I have doubts because if it smells like a flower then something else is in it.

Whichever/wherever you get it read the label.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone effectively and quickly removed surface contaminants. I check my acetone before every use because I can see the dropped contaminants at the bottom of the acetone. I use a small glass dip jar so tossing it out is easy and necessary. @ChrisH821 is correct. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2020 6:36PM

My eyes are getting bad. I read this thread title as "Luster bombs with suicide spots". I opened the thread with a sense of anticipation.

Okay, I picked up some straight acetone today from Home Depot. The 79 looks a little better. Pictured next to another luster bomb '84 I found tonight and just for reference. It too is a problem coin not worth grading because of spots, cuts, and a weak reverse. I almost cried when I saw how good the luster is :'( I dipped it as well :D

Before dip.

After dip.

Angle Shot.

Apparently I burned the sheen off the '79 when left in a plastic container with the wrong dip and for too long.

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Apparently I burned the sheen off the '79 when left in a plastic container with the wrong dip and for too long.

‘79 looks a bit less hazy, based in the pics.

Use a non-reactive clear container... pyrex comes to mind.

That ‘84 looks to have quite a bit of cool looking die polishing. Over zealous Mint worker, perhaps. :D

@Hemispherical said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

‘79 looks a bit less hazy, based in the pics.

Use a non-reactive clear container... pyrex comes to mind.

That ‘84 looks to have quite a bit of cool looking die polishing. Over zealous Mint worker, perhaps. :D

and the 79 is quite the opposite with very flat smooth fields. almost proof like until I almost poofed like.