Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. White Whale Harpooned!

Actually, I think the term "White Whale" gets thrown around the hobby a little too freely these days however I recently picked up something that's as close as a "White Whale" I'll ever see.

For well over 20 years, I've been looking for a ticket from May 6, 1984 in which Cal Ripken Jr. became only the 2nd Oriole in history to hit for the cycle (Brooksie was the other). The game was played on a Sunday afternoon in Arlington in front of only 13,224 fans.

I finally was able to pick this ticket up (a full ticket no less) from an eBay seller in France (of all places), who worded the auction awkwardly (thus avoiding attention):

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

Comments

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I understand your excitement over a specific game ticket, as I have a list I have been chasing for a long time as well. There is no "standard" format for ticket stub listings, so it is easy to miss something if the date is not included or is in a different format that you'd typically search for. Even tougher when the event is for someone playing in an opposing park, as the visitor team is often left off stub listings for some reason.

I also agree with the white whale comment and other descriptions such as rare or scarce being overused. I don't think the knowledgable collectors necessarily overuse them, but sellers on ebay, for example, toss in "rare" like it is a conjunction. Nothing like seeing something like a rare 1984 slurpee coin or 1988 Score card.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on landing the white whale. It's a beauty. I know how hard it can be, waiting for the whale to emerge. I've been at sea for years myself.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you. Nice pickup.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! Congrats!

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone should shoot a different harpoon...congrats on the shot Ahab! Nice ticket

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

congrats! great to add a rare piece for sure

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

nice!!!

Let's go O's!!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is fantastic!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

That is awesome. My white whale was a 1972 Puerto Rico Mike Schmidt. Finally found one a couple years ago.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Bill! That's a huge pickup for your collection.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach