Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sending 1 coin in envelope to foreign country advise

I am in the USA just getting started on Ebay and have a customer from Austria wanting a ten dollar coin. Can I send it in an envelope without filling out a customs form. I am willing to take the risk of it not getting there or being sent back. What are my chances?

A world without coins "Chaos"

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did it a few times for low value coins without an issue when I used to sell on Ebay 10-15 years ago. Sorry that I can't provide more timely info.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

It should work, but I would recommend that you use a SafeTMailer to place the coin in. Or two thin pieces of cardboard like that from a cereal box. Both are flexible enough for the automatic processing machines

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2020 11:04AM

I do it all the time . put it between thin cardboard as mentioned then put a piece of tape on the cardboard so it sticks to the inside of the envelope , I tape the flap and I tape the ends in case the sorting machine moves the cardboard inside and it cuts the end of the envelope

I've mailed hundreds of coins and stamps all over the world that way. One or 2 never arrived I just refund . Saved thousands of dollars in shipping over the years.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically it needs a Customs form and maybe even go as a package, but I'd follow the advice above if you can sustain an occasional loss. Just secure the coin so it is not rattling around and don't make the envelope too thick.

I've done this a few times.

• Options
    rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

You have been very helpful. You have made my day. I imagine there are a few countries that you don't ship to, correct...

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not using eBay service? They deal with that and does not cost you a penny.

• Options

I believe there is a tariff on international. I could be wrong. Do you know the rates.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:

c an you please explain this?
    Feebay doing something for free ????
    unheard of????
    rminiak
    Austria and Germany are some of the worst to collect MWST (GST). 20% I believe in Austria.
    shipping will depend on the dimensions and weight. But is should be possible to send it as letter mail as descibed above.
    Just sent a heavy silver DOA 2 Mark peace to Germany from Canada as letter mail. it got there in less than 5 days.
    If you use a CN22 form it could raise questions at the post office citing respective PO rules etc.
    Do not use a CN@@ form unless you send it as a small parcel or similar and do not tell the PO attendant whats inside.
    good luck to you

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay Global Shipping Programme

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/global-shipping-program?id=4646

You mail it to an Ebay's facility and they take care of the shipping, customs. Etc. Free? You as seller pay 0, I am sure the buyer has this added to the S&H.

• Options

Forgot about GSt tax . Will just send in regular envelope. I know once in a while there might be a problem, but i'm sure it be not be too often. Like the guy said before he has sent hundreds without too many problems. thanks for all your help...

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:

Unfortunately it’s hideously expensive on the buyer’s end. I’ve heard in the neighborhood of $24 dollars for small packets. Obviously will depend on many factors but is not cheap enough for this type of transaction.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    eBay Global Shipping Programme

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/global-shipping-program?id=4646

You mail it to an Ebay's facility and they take care of the shipping, customs. Etc. Free? You as seller pay 0, I am sure the buyer has this added to the S&H.

As already mentioned, the cost is in the neighborhood of $25 and up.

It may not cost the seller money, but it will cost the seller tons of customers.

One time I wanted to buy a $10 or $12 item from the UK and I would have paid the few dollars in actual postage it would have cost the seller if he mailed it himself, but not the $25 it cost under Ebay's program which he insisted on using. It was a niche item and he had no other buyers so he lost a sale.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, Many of the Global Shipping costs I see are in the $12.00 range. Keep in mind they always use at a minimum of Priority Mail type shipping. They have started shipping to China again. Had a Chinese buyer buy a $10.00 seashell and the Shipping was over $22.00! He paid and has received. Waiting to see what comes of it as I'm awaiting delivery of a $100.00 seashell he bought the next week. He is also a 0 feedback user.

• Options

I am talking small envelopes. Cost to most countries for 1 ounce is $1.15

• Options

wanna save even more money? buy discounted postage stamps at less than face value to mail them . Working out great for me

• Options

where do u get them

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 12:52PM

global shipping is probably the worst rip off Feebay ever came up with!
    all I can say is this:
    before you use it, please do read the small print, especially the return sections.
    it is marked by default in the shipping preferences and you have to unmark it if you do not wish to use it.
    IF you use it, YOU as the shipper do not get to see what is being charged to a buyer. You will need to sign in from the ebay of the buyers domain to see it. Horrendous!!
    It pretty well guarantees that close to no returns will take place because both parties will have considerable expenses obtaining original customs forms used when imported as originals are required and guess who has these???
    Further most countries customs rules allow someone else than the actual importer (a proxy) to do clearances as long as the proxy has an original signed Power of attorney on file!
    they most certainly do not have mine!
    just simply hate being ripped off.!! :s

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@rmuniak said:
    where do u get them

ebay , has tons , I have some lots listed myself but other forum members do as well in the stamp forum buy sell trade section

• Options

good to know thanks

• Options

@rmuniak said:
    good to know thanks

You have any interesting coins I'll trade stamps for them :#